Italy is good for a holiday, bad for living. What do you think?

Hello,
I am planning to move to Italy. I have been in contact with some people from Italy for a language exchange. The two of them said Italy is good for a holiday but not for living. I understand wages are low, especially for what I want to do:English teaching. He said I will see many injustices. This has made me doubt my plans. I don't know what to think. Can someone with experience living in Italy tell me if you agree or disagree with this and explain why?

Thank you so much!

I agree that most parts of Italy would make a fine place for a holiday, weather, food, sunshine and cultural sights and scenery rival any where in Europe. It's just an amazing place - a holiday in Venice, Rome, Firenze or almost anywhere in Italy is a must.

As for a place to live, well Italy is perhaps the most bureaucratic and most badly managed country amongst the top 10 nations in the EU, due to the country's almost paranoid fear of a return to single party politics, it will always be run by a disunited and ineffective group of political parties that seldom agree with one another. Historically, most Italians are inherently suspicious of authority, almost any law either generated locally, from Rome or from the EU is at times held with contempt and often ignored. Also remember that economically Italy punches well above it's own weight, it is not a wealthy country, poverty and hardship exists in places where you seldom find it, and unemployment, particularly among younger people is rising, made worse in recent years since Italy has become alarmingly subjected by the United states of Europe. It is only Italy's strong and cultural family ties and networks, notably in the south, that stops the country from going into meltdown! Corruption is endemic and organised crime is as strong as ever. The addition of nearly 1 million economic migrants from mainly sub Saharan Africa is creating huge concern and anger amongst indigenous Italians as they fear it will threaten Italy's unique identity and way of life. They will never be genuinely welcomed in this country and cannot move on as France, Austria and Switzerland have all closed their borders, because they can. The EU cares little about Italy's plight and even less about the immigrants that live in squalor and suffer in over crowded camps that are nearly all run by corrupt gangs or criminals.

So this is the true Italy of today - God help us! However, if you can find a way to absorb all of this, grit your teeth, smile and be strong, it is the best place to live, certainly in southern Europe.     

Antonio.

Yes it's all true. Antonio i couldnt agree with you more..you are 150% on point.  Please listen to their advice. Best of luck to you!

I wanna ask u guys one more thing that what is best way to get a Job into Information Technology area within Italy since the Italian Language requirement is very strict for the companies moreover they conduct interviews even for Internships in Italian sometimes.

Sorry for posting this question here but it would be better if u anyone of u answers it.

dhirajbhasin wrote:

I wanna ask u guys one more thing that what is best way to get a Job into Information Technology area within Italy since the Italian Language requirement is very strict for the companies moreover they conduct interviews even for Internships in Italian sometimes.

Sorry for posting this question here but it would be better if u anyone of u answers it.

Why don't you start a new post, as your question has nothing to with a holiday in Italy. I will also attract more attention.

SimCityAT
Expert Team

Done i had started a new question regarding the same.

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.