Living in Warsaw

You are an expatriate living in Warsaw, or you used to  work and live in Warsaw.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Warsaw?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Warsaw?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Warsaw?

Thanks in advance for your participation

hi, i live here in Warsaw. Anyone want snu help? It's doubtful I will be of real assistance but I could try...

Welcome on Expat-blog Brook!

May be you could answering the above questions and help the other expats who want to settle down in Warsaw?? ;)

Hi there

I am pretty much in the same Person at the top but I am currently living in New Zealand at the moment. I am looking to move overseas sometime next year. I was looking at moving to Warsaw. I have never been there before but I have heard great things about Poland in general. Any advice out there? :)

Good idea is go there for a short time, to see all in practice and then you can easy choice to stay, or go to other country.
Don't make too fast decision :) try, because you can be disappointed, if you imagine too much :)

[moderated: no free ads]

Well, I am native Polish an I do live in Warsaw. My opinion might be subjective but I hope it will help a little.

Difficulty in finding the job depends on your occupation. It is the easiest to find a job for people after polytechnic studies. Humanists may find it hard. Also, it's harder to find a job right now due to recession.

What about an accomodation, it depends on how much you earn. Poles find flats very expensive, especially now. A flat for rent costs 2.500-8.000zl and to buy (around 80sqm, not in best districts like Mokotów) around 600.000zl (something around 120.000 pounds?) There are ALWAYS some flats avaliable, because  Poles never has money :-)

Friends? There are quite easy to make, especially at work or in some associations or club. However, you may be almost sure you will never get to know who your neighbours are (there is possibility of meeting some of them if you have a child or a dog but still, you probably won't get to know their names). It just isn't natural for Poles to keep in touch with their neighbours. But it's just Warsaw (not the outskirts) and only due to the fact that when you FINALLY get back home you just don't feel like making friends.

What would I reccomend?
Finding a job BEFORE you come to Warsaw. Get used to the thought of extreme driving and be prepared for really strange situations on the road (some people are not created to think). Half of the Poles pretend they do not know Englidh, and the other half that thay do - really, if you have some questions you should ask young people.

Hope that I have helped.

Sorry for all the mistakes in English.

PS: 4000euro is more than enaugh - my parents together earn 2.700euro and it is a good salary.

I studied in Warsaw, I am happy I dont live there anymore. It is probably because i dont like cities in general. for Polish people Warsaw offers a lot, better jobs, higher salaries, rich cultural life, intensive night life.
Although, I have never liked this place. it is grey and pesimistic. people are miserable.
Maybe it will look in different way for the foreigner. its relatively cheap. /cheaper than rest of European cities. We have got beautiful girls. Lot of people speak English.
good luck

I am textile professional, plans to relocate to Poland, setup office in Poland and to do business in Poland and with countries around.
I wish to get practical experience of expat moved to Poland and running business office there.