Why am I not sure if I want to live in Panama

I live in Ecuador, but visit Panama frequently. I consider Panama for a permanent settlement, but 2 things, so far, bother me. I welcome critic from those who live there, maybe I'm exaggerating...  Here we go:
- The way police solicits bribes. Give u an example. Driving on the Panamerican highway towards Costa Rica. A cop with a radar stops us. Going 5 km/h too fast, fine $70.00 according to him. Let me see the radar, officer - NO, I just gonna give you a ticket... but he is not even moving to give it. All right, time's money, $10.00 was the lowest I had, that was what he got. By the look in his eyes I immediately understood that I gave him too much.
A couple of hours later - another cop. According to that one, we were driving on the left lane - can't do that, the lane is for passing only! Same game with the ticket... $2.00 this time, set us free. An hour later - another one. What now?? Driving with sunglasses on - I guessed... He checked everything: papers, luggage, 15 minutes he made it look like he was calling somewhere, and just when I was about to offer him a "regular" $2.00, the SOB reluctantly gave up. And I thought Ecuadorian cops were pieces of sh...t... but that was before I met the Panamanian ones...
Just few examples from our last visit. IS IT NORMAL? You'll never see it in Ecuador, not like this... Panama is about as expensive as back north, and THIS on the top???
- Try opening an account in a Panamanian bank. The length of the process itself, the employees having absolutely no idea about fees, services and in general how things work in their own bank, astound me. Once again, I compare to Ecuador, which is a pretty much screwed up country in its own way, but with an efficient banking system nevertheless...
Anyhow, what's your thought on all this.
Thanks in advance.

Hello mango7 ;)

Nice & funny analysis :)

[large][large]Great!!! You hit two of the many reasons why you should stay where you are. Years ago this was the place to be. Now its a train wreck waiting to happen. NOTHING goes right here. The banks are scamming you for your personal info and that of close relatives so they can sell it to the IRS here. Immigration is the same...they just make up shit if they don't know the law. The locals NEVER return fon calls, they NEVER show up for appointments that they have made. When they call you, they let it ring once and hang up. Me, I never return those calls (moderated: offensive post)

I live in the country....the drivers here don't have drivers licenses. The reason is....they don't know how to drive!!! They creep along doing 10mph on a main road and have traffic backed up for miles. They don't have any lights that work, so when they stop in the middle of the road...good luck if your behind them!!! Crash, Bang and if your a Gringo its ALWAYS your fault. Also, if your a gringo you are always served last, you are always wrong, your paperwork is always put off or "lost". Never leave your originals with anyone!!! If they lose them. They are NOT responsible and won't help in getting new one's.

Also, there is no such thing as "Pensionado Discounts" None at the airlines or eateries or bars or food stores or any stores for that matter. If you go to buy a TV or furniture...good luck!!! I usually beat them up about my discount. Then finally they give me a big 5%!!! I tell them to shove it I want 20%!!! We finally meet somewhere in the middle or I walk. I did this on a $11K purchase and when they wouldn't discount it,(moderated: very offensive) Also, they all say they don't speak English....most due in the cities. I refuse to speak Spanish!!! That's good especially if your dealing with the cops or government lackeys. Just keep saying "English, English, English only" It always works. They either tell you to go or they do what you need to get done. I had to do it in the States, speak Spanish....they need to make it a law here that they must offer bilingual services. Oh that's right it is a law!!!! But they always deny it!!!

Don't get a Panama drivers license. If your a gringo, your don't need it. Use your old license. Don't register your car. Keep your old plates and registration and your customs docs and no problem. They don't know their own laws. Remember...ENGLISH ONLY!!! Always keep a few bucks with your license. Everything goes away. It's NOT a bribe it's a "Gift"!!!

I could go on but I'm old and don't need to waste more time on this nightmare called Panama!!

If your thinking of moving here...DON'T!!! Pick another country.

Good Luck to all....for more info just drop me a line.
Your ol' Uncle Jim
[/large][/large]     :cool:

For Invader609:

I think you should come back to the States my friend.
Seriously, what you have just described is regularly happening in 90% of the countries in this planet!! Try the Caribbean islands where, if your white, it's even worst, trust me! Only there your not a gringo but a CHICKEN!!!
The fact you don't want to learn Spanish it's a clear example (moderated: very offensive comments) on a beautiful places like Panama encouraging the others to blackmail the country.
If you want to live in a no-first-class country you should be flexible and fit yourself in the new environment, other than just complain. AHHHH yes, the weather is good, cheap life, easy life-style and nice chicas....yes yes yes....easy to complain but when you slide your johnson in a 20 years old chica you forget everything, right???
Stop complaining and be positive.

[large]First of all Spasso, I do speak Spanish...not fluently  (moderated: very offensive comments)

I tell it like it is.

Your ol' Uncle Jim
[/large]

For invader 609
I am not surprised you have problems in Panama. I would surprise if you don't have in every country you go with this attitude. :lol:Sorry.
Panama is not perfect as no place is perfect. But there are rules written and not written. It seems you are breaking all of them. Mainly, the written ones. Probably you don't even know laws.
Just for the other readers I want to point it out just few of them.
If you are resident or on “pensionado program” you need Panamanian driver license and you get it in a matter of an hour only showing a blood test (couple of dollars), your driver license and a check (on site) or vision and hearing.  Cost 20 USD.
Again if resident or pensionado need to get their registration on your car. Process sometime is long and cost a bit. Only worth importing a car  if you have a special love for the car.
Driving. It is true that you have to keep a special eye on the roads. Just be careful. Anyway local insurance (cost a fraction of what you would spend back home) helps and assist in case of accident for free (legal).
Pensionado discount. Unfortunately sometime  gringos don't help themselves when they park a 70K SUV in front of a local small restaurant, show up at the counter shouting like a hell, with a gold rolex at the wrist and asking 25% discount on a 3$ meal. On top of that they wont a not due discount on beers (no discount on alcohol).
Most of discounts are honored. Air Company is automatic; all house bills (electricity etc) are automatics etc.
NO DISCOUNTS ARE DUE when buying house holds, TV, computers, fornitures etc. Just read the law. Here Invader 609 pretend discount in everything.
Language: Panama is a Spanish Country. We are guest and we have to adjust. If you find someone to speak English at least say Thanks. When I am in the states I do not pretend that officers speaks Italian to me!!!! Even if I found some at the border and tanked them with a smile.
Bribes: yes you could keep always few bucks in the pocket when breaking a traffic law (as Invader609) but this is the way to increase problems. You get catch? Pay the fine and next time slow down!
I believe most of the people come here searching for a cheaper and more relaxing life and I found it but some attitudes are not good for the community and for Imagine of gringos (I say gringos and include European Gringos as for them we are all white gringos).
Life is good
Flavio
:)

For invader609

Here the only one who's crying is just YOU. Try to be more polite and respectful to all people surrounding you.

(moderated: very offensive comments)

Life is good

For  invader609

I am curious...  If you dislike Panama so much, why do you live there?

For mktimken

I teel you why.
He's that kind of character that enjoys the advantages of a laid-back life, cheap cost of life and local girls (if you understand what I mean) but feels bad because he's a looser. Back home maybe he was a rolling stone but in Panama, with 2 bucks in the pocket, he's invincible. That's why he hates panamenses and the system but no guts to go back home.
Unfortunately, world is full of this trash.
Panama is a beautiful country with pros/con like all others. Love it and stay, hate it and leave!

Sposino wrote:

For mktimken

I teel you why.
He's that kind of character that enjoys the advantages of a laid-back life, cheap cost of life and local girls (if you understand what I mean) but feels bad because he's a looser. Back home maybe he was a rolling stone but in Panama, with 2 bucks in the pocket, he's invincible. That's why he hates panamenses and the system but no guts to go back home.
Unfortunately, world is full of this trash.
Panama is a beautiful country with pros/con like all others. Love it and stay, hate it and leave!

I fully agree

Flavio
sognandolestero.com

I'm sorry but I can not answer those people who have little or no experience in dealing with the nightmare here in Panama. I've built 2 large houses here, have imported numerous equipment, have built a large Plantation, have tried to use all local workers for the good of the local economy. Have had to deal with multiple government agencies and law enforcement types(Now there is a total F Fest). So I don't need a bunch of do nothings telling me about living here when you are all nicely tucked away in your apartments or closed communities. You've never had to deal with multiple corporations and foundations and all the crap that goes with them or a president that sold out his country for a few million $$$'s that changed most everything for gringos living here. But he lets in almost 5000 illegals who've been living here from Columbia. But the gringo's who've been waiting patiently for years, for their residency....its screw you, AGAIN!!

Why don't I go back??? What, to live in the largest terrorist nation in the world??? I left back in 1991 to find a free country to have my family live and work there and to spread the wealth. But ol uncle sam is just picking the countries off to force their version of "Democracy" on them. It's called control!!!

I worked for those criminals in DC for 26 years and know what they are capable of and why they do it. You're right, there are only a few places left that refuse to knuckle under to the demon of the north. They are then labeled either narco-terrorist states, money laundering states or any other of the sound bites the demon comes up with.

So sit down and shut up. Keep walking thru life blindly to what really is happening here and other parts of the world. I'm a realist and expect certain things to be what they should be to have a normal life. Not a backward, uneducated group of workers who have no clue what their job or the laws are. (The following relates to the construction of buildings.) People, who when you attempt to show them correct/new ways to do things, just go back to their uninformed ways of doing things. You literally have to stand over them to supervise.

I'm starting to get worked up and I'm here for relaxation and peace not to mention a few hot latina's who want to live with your ol' Uncle Jim and bestow their pleasures upon him!!!!:D:P

So I'm gonna have a cup of great Duran coffee, desayuno and await my novia to come and bestow her pleasures upon me!!! The rest of you, enjoy your day too.

Jim :cool:

Wow Invader

Can I call you Captain Invader?
From now on you're my hero! :D

Well, Jim, if that's your impression of Panama, come to Ecuador. It is much much cheaper. Gringos are heroes for the locals. The coolest thing on earth is to have a gringo friend, boyfriend/girlfriend, a gringo business partner or to be associated with a gringo in any other ways. It is a corrupt country but not the same way as Panama, and at the same time nothing is impossible here, just gonna cost ya. I must admit, it is not as clean nor street safe as Panama. But for now I'm staying where I am.
Cheers

Good choice!!! Besides the fishing there is suppose to be great.:cool: Big Striped Marlin and the like hanging out.

Anyway, if I could sell my place tomorrow, I'd be there the day after. Now did you say the chicas there are looking for ol gringo's to pleasure??? :lol:

So, Invader

Can you summarize pros and cons of Panama's living? and what would you recommend to those who want to move there?

[large]There are no Pros anymore!!! Well, except for the muy caliente chicas!!! The Cons are, you need to read my previous posts.

Like I said, if you really want to move here, I have a beautiful finca located between Las Tablas and Pedasi thats FOR SALE!!! All equipment is included. Serious inquires ONLY!!! Brokers welcome!!!

Don't miss out on this one of a kind opportunity of a lifetime.

Ol' Uncle Jim
[/large] :cool:

Well, Jim, I'm in Quito, no fishing here. Enough señoritas though, and if not enough, Colombia is just around the corner.

Send some of those chicas here!!!! I can keep'm entertained for a few more years!!!!

And for those of you who think Panama is for you....THINK AGAIN!!!!