Motocycles

Hello,

Just arrived. Can I drive with my Luxembourghish A1 license in Malta directly? Hold since more than 2 years.
I went to a shop today and the guy mentions that I have to pass a test .... is it true ? I can not believe that there is not global 28 EU states agreement on this ...
even if here we drive on left side .... if you know about I am curious to know. I could not find my case in the Malta public transport publication ...
thanks for your reply

From the TM website  "European Union driving licences shall be recognised in Malta as long as they are valid in country of issuance. "

If A1 means its a provisional licence then you would have to take a test .

Terry

Try contacting Dave at rpm.com.mt
He runs a motorcycle school, passed my test here with him, he will be able to give you correct information. Personally I would assume it's the same as car license, if it's EU then can drive here ok, but Dave will know for sure.

Its not a car licence.

EU A1 categories

Motorcycles with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres and a power not exceeding 11 kW; and motor tricycles with a power not exceeding 15 kW.    16 years. (17 years in the UK, 18 years in Denmark, Greece, Belgium and the Netherlands).        AM, (also T in Finland)    B licence holders in Czech Republic (only motorcycles with automatic transmission), Italy, Latvia, Malta, Slovakia (after two years and only motorcycles with automatic transmission), Spain (after three years), Poland (after three years), Portugal (at least 25 years old or additional licence for mopeds) and Belgium (only with a Belgian Driving Licence, after two years) are allowed to drive motorcycles not exceeding 125cc within the respective countries. In Austria (after five years, training of 6 hours), France (after two years, a training of 7 hours), Luxembourg (after two years, training of 7 hours) and the United Kingdom (Compulsory Basic Training), a practical training without exam is needed for B licence hold

Terry

If you have an EU issue A1 licence you can drive up to a 125cc scooter/motorcycle ( max 15 bhp) in Malta.  (Subject to any age restrictions)
You can change it for a Malta issue licence if you move here and stay for a minimum of 6 months.

Ray

Good evening,
Thank you for your replies. Thanks for your help ;)
I investigated from my side too : indeed called a moto bike school and they confirm what you all mention.
The confusion comes from indeed a license B extension in some EU countries that allows to drive a 125cc on the national territory (or have the B100 for the most restricted ones).  In this case in Malta, a test is required.

:D
So soon,  a new rider on the roads ;)

Enjoy, but keep your eyes open, and don't trust others on road, they never stick to rules. I've had a few idiots cut in front or across me when on my bike. But still the best way to beat the traffic jams.

Yop, banks for the advice. I will follow it tightly !

Thanks *