Car Shipping Import tax

Hey all,

A question for those who have shipped cars.  I understand that the import tax is based on vehicle value, and that's a value that they assign to it.  Unfortunately, the site everyone sends you to where you can plug in your car's info and/or VIN# returns nothing for either of our cars, so I have no idea what the import tax would be for them.  I do know that HERE the values for one (97 Mercedes E430) is about $5000 and the other (2008 Volvo XC90) is probably around $7000.  The Mercedes particularly is in fantastic condition and we just plain like it.  So our plan was to likely sell the Volvo and ship the Mercedes, just so we at least have one vehicle upon arrival.  But I'm hearing figures like $1100 for a $3500 vehicle and things like that.  Not asking for any exact number for my cars of course, but does anyone have some close guesses for the values I mentioned?  If it's much over $1000 in tax, on top of $1200 to ship, we'll probably just have to part with both vehicles.  Gracias!

My suv a 2011 valued at $15,000.00 according to Kelly blue book value. According to P.R. Import tax it's worth $36,000.00. I paid $5,300.00 in taxes.  I did not want to part from it so I sucked it up and paid the tax.

You could give them a phone call but may be on the phone a while.

Thanks guys.  I'm leaning heavily towards just selling them, renting for a few days in PR and buying there.  We generally use the "older car with higher miles but in good shape for very low $$" buying philosophy anyway, so I'm sure we'll be able to locate a first car to buy pretty quickly.  Actually, we'll probably make out on the favorable side of time spent and hoops jumped through versus shipping, receiving, paying the taxes, etc., not to mention saving a bundle of $$.

If you are mechanically oriented and can FEEL a car and figure out the condition of a car by sounds and smells, you can probably make out well by selling in the US and purchasing a car in PR. If not that good, get a mechanic to check it for you before you put your money down.
Once you decide on the car, go with the seller to transfer the car in your name. If there are any fines, the seller has to pay them before you hand him your money. Otherwise you are going to have to pay the fines and you will not know what they are until you try to transfer it. TAKE the seller with you otherwise no deal.

Great advice, will do.  I've owned a ton of cars and do a lot of my own work, so I feel pretty confident in finding a good one, but the transfer process may be a bit foggy.

EricDove wrote:

Great advice, will do.  I've owned a ton of cars and do a lot of my own work, so I feel pretty confident in finding a good one, but the transfer process may be a bit foggy.

I think there are posting about the process on this site including getting a marbete. Note also that if you want your own insurance and not the compulsory one, you will need the certificate from the insurance company before the car transfer or they will charge you the compulsory one on top of the registration cost. Sitka I think has gone thru the process, not sure.

yes, when you purchase insurance on your car at the agency they give you a paper to take with you to get the marbete at the DMV.   Present the certificate and they waive the compulsory overpriced worthless coverage that they force on you which runs about $100. 

Because the mandatory coverage, (that I bet most drivers on the road are using) is only $4000 liability coverage.  If you are hit by someone with such poor coverage, don't expect to recover full damages from them  -- better have some insurance coverage that protects you.  Since my PR car is not worth much, I only got a good liability policy.  If you have a good car better get collision coverage too.

What agency or broker did you use? An aside, curious if the policy was also in English?

Something to consider Triple S, or SSS have health insurance, Home and Vehicle insurance, likely you can get a break if you use them for all 3.

35th wrote:

What agency or broker did you use? An aside, curious if the policy was also in English?

I went to "Cooperativa de Seguros Multiples".  My office is just off #2 in Hatillo,  I think these offices are available all around the island.   The policy is in Spanish, but understandable.  The agent spoke english.