Close

Registration for non-residents a.k.a temporary BSN

Hi. I've just heard there is an option to get a temporary BSN using my address from the outside of the Netherlands. Apparently, that's something that's available to the EU citizens only, provided you want to stay in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Has anyone tried it? Is it then hard to change this non-resident registration to the resident one, once I have an address in the Netherlands?

It seems like a much faster way to get a BSN as it doesn't require me to have a Dutch address straight away.

Dank je!
Magda

Hi Magda,

No, you can't register with any Gemeente in Holland until you have a permanent address in the Netherlands.

What is this then? https://www.rotterdam.nl/loket/registra … gezetenen/

Sounds like you can register and get BSN as non[-resident too

Hi Magda,

That is the "Registratie niet-ingezetenen" system; this is for people who are coming to work or study in Holland for less than 4-months; you gain nothing by using this system and have to provide exactly the same information and still physically be there (at the Gemeentehuis) to register.

The link you provided just gives you the ability to make an appointment online for your registration interview at the Town Hall.  There are no benefits to be gained by registering first as a 4-month person.

Just to add - I had to make an appointment with the Gemeente Enschede last week; I called into the Gemeentehuis in the morning while out shopping with my wife and got an appointment the same day (2 hours later).  It really isn't a difficult thing to get done.  The only thing of note was that because our questions were related to us as a couple, we had to book a double appointment; we were done in 10 minutes.

Hope this helps. :)

Cynic
Expat Team

Expatriate health insurance in Rotterdam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Rotterdam

Moving to Rotterdam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Rotterdam

Travel insurance in Rotterdam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Rotterdam

Flights to Rotterdam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Rotterdam

2 million members!

Watch later