Planning to move to Mauritius

Hi all
I'm Matt. I'm from Melbourne Australia.
My fiancé is from Mauritius and in the next few years we are planning to move to Mauritius to live.
Im here at the moment on vacation, I am in the process of learning French but at time can find creole here a bit overwhelming.
I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and hear of similar stories or people in the same situation I've planning the big move
Thanks for listening

Matt

Hi Matt....I am moving from Ireland to Mauritius in October...my wife is Mauritian...big step for us as we are over 50...never mind the Creole...focus on good French...more and more people are fluent in English today...Peter

Hi Matt,

My wife is also Mauritian and are considering moving there by the end of this year. Probably the one thing i regret not doing is learning the language fluently over the last 10 years. Saying that, every time i go back i learn something new.

I find it a bit hard once you are back in Australia leading a normal life and trying to learn french, you tend just to go back to the aussie lifestyle.

I am currently finding avenues for looking for a job (once again the language barrier is a big factor i think).

Probably worthwhile to research the MU government website for expats etc.

Cheers

Wolfweim wrote:

Hi Matt....I am moving from Ireland to Mauritius in October...my wife is Mauritian...big step for us as we are over 50...never mind the Creole...focus on good French...more and more people are fluent in English today...Peter

Hi,

English is only an administrative language in Mauritius. Rarely used outside in conversations and in the media.

If you will be living in Mauritius for a long time, it is imperative to know some Creole and French.

Good day

If you wish to learn French or Creole, it will be a pleasure to assist  you may email me ...***
Thank you

Regards

Suzy

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi Matt

I'm Irish, but my wife is Mauritian. We are planning to move permanently in the next few years. We just built a house in Port Louis and are getting all the practical stuff out of the way.

You will need a little French, and also some Creole if you plan on shopping in the back streets!

Mauritian authorities are notoriously officious and love paperwork, and I mean LOVE paperwork! If they can find a reason for getting you to fill out a form, they will! And every person you speak to will tell you something different from the previous one. Just a piece of advice,  be prepared!

It's a fantastic country though. If you want western style/standards of shops and cafes, go to Bagatelle.

Totally agree with the paperwork.  Had so many problems trying to get residents permit.  Have been turned inside out and to so many offices and told a million different things each time.  2 weeks later and I'm back in England and going to the embassy for advice.

Hi Suzy

Please private message me details on French classes!

Thanks
Amanda

Hello Mr/ Mrs

Will you  please give me your email, thanks.

Kid regards

Suzy

Hi Suzy
We are moving to Mauritius from South Africa in October and would love to learn french

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services on the forum is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct