Close

Offered a great job but TEFL work permit problem

Hey everyone, Nice to meet you all!

I'm a first time poster but frequent lurker of these forums. I'll cut right to the chase - I need advise from people in Vietnam about fulfilling the work permit requirements. Here is my background and situation:

I'm 24 years old and a holder of a 3 year BA Degree. I've 2 years teaching experience in Asia, but no TEFL/CELTA teaching certificate. It's always been my aim to undertake a quality, accredited course that includes the often sought after 6 hours of observed teaching practice. However, money is a little tight recently due to unexpected circumstances; therefore,  I've put that plan on hold and am looking to do some work as an esl teacher for a while and make some more cash.

I've been offered a job with a reputable Language School in Vietnam and must make a decision soon. There is just one problem - The Work Permit! The Vietnamese law requires I have a Degree + Police Background Check + A teaching cert or 5 years experience in the field  (ridiculous...). I don't have the TEFL, so am I correct in assuming that I cannot be granted a work permit?  Therefore, can't work legally in Vietnam?

I'm not interested in working illegally or under the table, so I'd like to hear other expats advice on my situation. Should I just come back to Vietnam later after I get the TEFL? The position would begin in September. Does anyone know if it's realistic to complete a quick, cheap TEFL course online? Does the Vietnamese government accept such certs for TEFL? Or must it be 120 hours with 6 hours observed practice?

This situation is such a headache. It's sure difficult to work legally in Vietnam it seems . As opposed to somewhere like Taiwan.

Anyway, I'd be real grateful if anyone had any advice or suggestions for me :)

Thanks!

Why do you feel that  a "Degree + Police Background Check + A teaching cert or 5 years experience in the field" is a "ridiculous standard?  In fact it is rather minimal.  Will Great Britain allow you to teach in government schools without at least a Bachelor's degree?   Would any western country allow one convicted of serious crimes to teach children?   The EFL certificate is a minimal standard.  In fact, last I knew, the online certificate is acceptable in VN although I personally think it should not be.  I have a BEd from the US and believe me, the things I learned in obtaining that degree could never be learned online.  Go ahead and take an online course but don't denigrate the requirements.  If anything, they should be tightened up.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam

2 million members!

Watch later