Private health insurance in Germany

Hi, suggestion for private health  insurance in Germany, Berlin?
a good friend needs some connections
Thanks

Hi abcdefghil,

Till members provide you their recommendations, you could contact our partner here : Expatriate health insurance in Berlin

All the best,
Bhavna

Please note that typical expatriate health insurances (like the ones linked to by Bhavna above) do not normally fulfill German requirements and are thus not accepted.
You can compare rates of the various health insurance options on comparison portals like https://www.verivox.de/krankenversicherung. Do also look at the public insurance scheme, as the private scheme does not cover kids or other dependents and is expected to get more and more expensive with age.

beppi wrote:

Please note that typical expatriate health insurances (like the ones linked to by Bhavna above) do not normally fulfill German requirements and are thus not accepted.
You can compare rates of the various health insurance options on comparison portals like https://www.verivox.de/krankenversicherung. Do also look at the public insurance scheme, as the private scheme does not cover kids or other dependents and is expected to get more and more expensive with age.

One also has to look at the requirements. Some people have to take public health insurance. Some have to take private, and less than 10% are in a catagory that they are allowed to take one or the other and should compare to see which is the most advantageous, which depends on a lot of factors.

From the German medical association (http://www.bundesaerztekammer.de/weiter … re-system/):

“Healthcare in Germany is funded by a statutory contribution system that ensures free healthcare for all via health insurance funds. Insurance payments are based on a percentage of income, shared between employee and employer. Health insurance in Germany is divided between statutory and private schemes. The statutory health insurance, the so-called Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung (GKV), occupies a central position in the healthcare system in the Federal Republic of Germany. About 90 % of the population are covered by statutory health insurance, which is compulsory for all with a gross income of less than 4,462.50 EUR per month. Private healthcare schemes can either provide a complete health service for those who opt out of the GKV, or top-up cover for those who remain within it.”

Some additional links in English explaining  the German health-care system:

http://www.aicgs.org/issue/structure-of … re-system/https://welcome-center-germany.com/best … re-system/

If you want practical consultation and a private health insurance. Connect with John Gunn1 He's a real support in this business. He is also a member of this forum. I have seen him posting here.

I am going to move to Germany with self sufficient and I already bought a worldwide hospitalisation insurance (i don't have GKV) but doubt if this can fulfil  the German requirements and will be accepted by the Germany BAMF office. How can I determine this?

Ask the insurer if they are are accredited as German health plan provider. If not, you will have to join a German insurer.
Pure hospitalization plans do NOT fulfill the requirement - and neither does any plan with a defined maximum amount of coverage. That‘s why almost no international insurer can provide what you need to reside in Germany.
Also, look at the cost: If they charge a lot less than what you‘d pay to the German GKV (for a self-sufficient non-employee that is €350-750/month depending on income), they sure cannot give the same coverage.
(If you are young and without pre-existing illnesses, German private health insurance or PKV can be cheaper.)

Hi,
Yeah, private health insurance can be cheaper -- WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG AND HEALTHY. When you get old and sicknesses start coming then premiums will start to skyrocket. Acceptable private health insurance requests like
- no more co-payments than € 300 p.a.
- no serious exclusion in coverage -- like a cap of 5 million USD
- no limitation for hospital costs
- etc.

Hello ahoi!
Private German insurances don't up their prices based on an individual client's age or illnesses- that is illegal. Price rises in the German system are based on general medical inflation, political decisions  and on the general success or otherwise of a particular tariff of a private German insurance company eg is it full of loss-making old people🤓

What you are referring to is the dog-eat-dog approach- especially by American insurers....

John: This is patently untrue!
I myself was in the private scheme before (now thankfully back in public) and they asked me for a surcharge due to a non-straight disc in my backbone (which I never had problems with before) and for my wife wisdom tooth treatment was excluded (because hers were lodged under the gums) - and that was despite both of us being young and healthy. Imagine what they'd do if it weren't so.
And we even had to pay ourselves (approx EUR100 per person) for the medical examination through which the insurance found out the above!

Yes but at the time of applying when they were assessing the risk!!! NOT years later - unless you had provided incorrect health information at the time of applying- so that's a different issue!

Yes, at the time of entry.
With an international career, you may enter and exit several times - and the premiums go up all the time.
That's why I am back in the public scheme, which is more suitable for anyone except the very rich who never move.

A way to avoid that in the private system is to sign up for an Anwartschaft (both for price and future health problems in the private system ).
Public insurance prices also go up yearly - based on the Beitragsbemessungsgrenze.

I´m actually a critic of the system and would prefer a more transparent system - a mixture of public and private and one also not dependent on visa restrictions etc.

john g. wrote:

A way to avoid that in the private system is to sign up for an Anwartschaft (both for price and future health problems in the private system ).

That is only true in theory - in our case the "Anwartschaft" would have costed too much to be worth it (we went abroad with unknown schedule and ended up returning after 8 years abroad the first time and again after four years abroad the second time, then with kid). Also, if we had an "Anwartschaft", we might not have been allowed to switch to the public scheme, where we are better off now!
I agree that a simpler, more transparent system is needed. I personally would prefer more freedom of choice and a free market approach, but even the leftist's "Buergerversicherung" (=one public insurer for all) is better than the current chaos!