US Citizen marrying Brazilian national in Minas Gerais.

I am looking to travel to Brazil before the end of this year (2017).

I will be visiting my regional consulate located in Chicago, Illinois to obtain a tourist visa.

I will be traveling to Barbacena, Minas Gerais to be with a long time boyfriend ( same sex couple) with the intentions of marriage. I would like to begin the process of receiving a permanent visa in Brazil.

My question is in regards to an earlier post answered by a very knowledgeable man named James. It was stated that I will need my birth certificate to be certified or approved at my regional consulate. Not my original given at birth but one that is not older than 180 days. Is this correct?

Also the USA does not issue proof of being single. I forget the form's name. But that can be an item I can receive in Brazil?

Those are my two hang ups as of right now. Clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You.

Jameshash,

You are correct about the birth certificate. It now needs to be apostilled by the secretary of state. That has been changed. As far as single status . If you have ever been married before you will need to produce divorce decree apostilled. also. Other wise you can write out a statement saying that you are single and have never been married. When you go for the visa you should ask them for a list of what you will need for the stable Union.

Jim

jameshash wrote:

I am looking to travel to Brazil before the end of this year (2017).

I will be visiting my regional consulate located in Chicago, Illinois to obtain a tourist visa.

I will be traveling to Barbacena, Minas Gerais to be with a long time boyfriend ( same sex couple) with the intentions of marriage. I would like to begin the process of receiving a permanent visa in Brazil.

My question is in regards to an earlier post answered by a very knowledgeable man named James. It was stated that I will need my birth certificate to be certified or approved at my regional consulate. Not my original given at birth but one that is not older than 180 days. Is this correct?

Also the USA does not issue proof of being single. I forget the form's name. But that can be an item I can receive in Brazil?

Those are my two hang ups as of right now. Clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You.

My birth certified was my original one, and '59 years old', and was no problem to the federal police

Thank you for your swift response!

Thank You.

Also part from what had been said already. Stable union will take up to 1 year because you need to be living together before you can apply for stable union.
Marriage is the best and shorter way if you want a permanent visa within the 180 days.

This 180 days is the initial 90 day visa issued on the US consulate and an additional 90 day visa acquired through the Federal Police in Brazil? Is this relatively easy to get this addition? What will they ask as to my reasoning?

Most of the time I guess it's easy as long as you did not wait until day 89 to apply. You will need to pay for the extension.
Also in MF you have to wait 40 days for your marriage certificate to be granted. So I suggest you both start the process asap

In Minas Gerais

Thank you Saint! A very fitting name. I had completely forgotten this detail. My "fiancé" is in the Brazilian Air Force and marriage will be difficult as it will be a process for him to be approved by the director of the Air Force.

Pleasure, in box me if you have other questions also I am in Belo Horizonte

Great! Thank you! Maybe once I am there we will cross paths!

I will be in the city of Barbacena.

Ok cool

Is your intent to get married? Is it possible for him to get a visa and come to the US for a few days ? Does he still need Approval from his superior? Why would the approval be difficult in Brazil? is he still closeted due to military work? I married my husband in the US as it was much easier but I understand if that's not an option...

Yes our intent is to marry or enter into a stable union.

It is not so much that he is closeted but that if he were to marry me his superiors all the way up the chain would know. He will be tenured in July of 2018. He has been in the Air Force for 10 years on that date. If I traveled and stayed in Brazil for six months or just the three months and traveled with him here (USA) for marriage would that work for us? Could we then return to Brazil together?

Also I have thought of staying 6 months legally. Stay another 6 months illegally (knowing I will pay a fine) so that a stable union can be established because we reached a year together. Would I have to return to the US after paying the fine? Or could I stay in Brazil and be granted a permanent visa?

Any info no matter how small would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you get married the time you've been in Brazil (3 months) Etc is not going to be especially relevant if you get married in the US.

Does he have a US visa? There's a good chance , if it's ok with his superiors, he could get a US visa without major drama as he is 'likely to return to Brazil'. If he already has a visa DEFINITELY do the marriage in the US. It's so much easier. You will have to plan a visit to the Local Brazilian consulate with your marriage certificate to get it Apostiled and to get a Marriage document from the Consulate. You take the original and the document the consulate gives you to Brazil get the marriage recognized there. Once it's recognized you can go through the process of getting your permanent residency which does take that much time once you have all the documents in order.

If you got married here in the US would he have to report that up his chain of command as well? Or are you going to wait until after he is tenured?

Do you need any info on the US permanent visa for him at some point? Here's a great resource in the US by Lambda Legal

http://www.immigrationequality.org/get- … l-couples/

General Legal Resources
http://www.immigrationequality.org/get- … resources/

Residency Process if you two are living in Brazil
http://www.immigrationequality.org/get- … ral-steps/

He does not have a visa for the US at this time. I will have to ask him about whether he needs permission from his superiors to marry in the US. Permission is only necessary because I am a foreign national.

I would really enjoy speaking with you in a faster means of communication if possible. I can give you my e-mail? You have been the first fellow American in a same sex relationship that I have spoken with. You have been quite helpful. If not I do understand.