Cost of living in Hong Kong

Kennedy Town is close to all the bars which is where most will end up after work. Actually anywhere on Hong Kong Island will be close to that area.

Hello,

Could anyone tell me is it possible to live in Hong Kong  with 13.600 HK$ Phd stipend? Thank you.

Yes you can but it will be very low level living. Rent alone can cost you $6,000 HK Dollars for a box or $9,000 for a bigger box. A real apartment will cost you over $15,000 per month not including the monthly fees.

Near the Heart of Hong Kong.

JWilliamson wrote:

Near the Heart of Hong Kong.

Dear Mr.Williamson,

Thank you very much for the response.

Hi everyone,

I think this thread is bit old. but can anyone help me with this information,

im a female graphic designer having 6 years experience. i got a offer for 20000 HKD per month job in causeway bay area.i dont have any idea about rentals, and want to know is this amount of salary can enough to live in hong kong and save something for my future.

plese be kind enough to help me with this information s..

Thanks in advance

Anona samalin

Hi,

I and my wife along with a 6 month old baby are planning to move to Hong Kong from India for a job that I have been offered. I am keen to understand the costs of living in Hong Kong. I am looking at the following heads (please feel free to add in case required):
1)Accommodation - am looking for a 2 to 3 BHK with maid room in a new international locality for expats that had clubhouse (swimming pool and other sports, gym etc) along with some open spaces around.
I will look to balance the rent with commute time to my office near IFC tower. I am ok with a door to door commute of upto 45 mins. Can you please suggest approx rentals along with suggested areas for living? Are the commissions to agents required to be borne by me? What is the norm? What are other related housing costs? What are the security deposits like?

2) Groceries - for our family size along with a maid what is comfortable budget?

3) Eating out and traveling - assuming eating out 5-6 times a month at moderate to little expensive restaurants. Travel expenses assuming taxi travel

4) Utilities expenses - whats the expense?

5) Any other expense heads required?

Any help with this information will be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The closer you live to IFC, the more expensive it will be.  There is no such thing as an average price when it comes to Hong Kong apartments, but 3 bedrooms with a pool and gym in an expat neighborhood is going to cost a small fortune anywhere in the city.

Groceries depend on how much you adapt to Hong Kong.  Local products are cheap, imports are expensive.

Restaurants can be very cheap if you eat where the locals eat.  If you have to eat at fancy restaurants filled with foreigners, be prepared to pay a lot.

Taxis are unnecessary.  The MTR goes everywhere.  The Octopus card pays for itself in days.

I posted a sample budget here -

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279820

Thanks