Going to singapore on april...need advice pls.

Good luck to you all !! I came here 1987 after my college and stay here until today. Just converted full 100% citizen last year. You want to be in an affordable lifestyle environment work and save hard and stay here . Buy property in singapore.

Thank you for sharing.
Would you recommend to apply directly to the company or to agencies? :)

I hope to find a good opportunity when I come in April.

Headhunting agencies in Singapore are basically useless, only engaged in keyword matching between job descriptions and your CV. You can send them your data, but do not put much hope into that!
(And: Never pay for an agency's service - they are not allowed by law to charge the job seeker any fee.)

Applying at companies directly is more promising, but the most successful method is through connections. So networking (=getting such connections through various ways) is best.

yes please do share!

Greeting Everyone. It's my first time to post some concerns in net. I am really excited. Here it is. I already finalized my Spass (S$2100) last Friday and my I.D for my Spass will be release this wed. The thing is, I have this another company that offered me Qpass (S$3000)and they will try to present there product to the Philippines this coming March to DPWH (the nature of work is Stabilizing the in situ soil to make it waterproof and strong w/in required wt.)and they will send me to the Philippines to handle the project. But they want me to go to Indonesia this week to have a training because they have on going projects in Indonesia. My concern are follows:

1. If i inform my employer to cancel my spass immediately and give my letter in my first day, is that ok? Can they file me case against me? Will they try to get the money that they spend in processing my pass?

2. I f I cancel my spass, will my visit pass in Singapore be extended again by 1 month?

3. And if I go to Indonesia( because they have on going road project in Indonesia), to have my training (they said that it will be my first day of work and i will be paid already), are there possible conflict that may arise? like will i have problems in immigration here in Singapore and Indonesia because i am still not employed with this company because they will process my qpass after i cancel my spass with my previous employer and they want me to go in Indonesia even if my Qpass is still in processing to MOM. And still no assurance if r=they will approve it asap.

4. If ever I will come back to Singapore after my training in Singapore and my Qpass is rejected? can i come back to Singapore without any problems in Immigration?

I know the fact that Its a risk in my part, but I have trust in this company, but of course i want t know what the reality will say. I hope you could help me with this.. thank you very much

-- I am a Filipino, 28 years old.I am a registered Civil Engineer and my applied position is Project Engineer.

engrbenjaminpineda wrote:

1. If i inform my employer to cancel my spass immediately and give my letter in my first day, is that ok? Can they file me case against me? Will they try to get the money that they spend in processing my pass?
Whether you can give notice of termination on your first day of work, and what notice period you have to serve, and what penalties there are (if any) is written in your employment contract.

2. I f I cancel my spass, will my visit pass in Singapore be extended again by 1 month?
If your work pass is cancelled, you will receive a two weeks SVP. I think you have to visit ICA to get this. This SVP is non-renewable and you will have to leave Singapore after that.

3. And if I go to Indonesia( because they have on going road project in Indonesia), to have my training (they said that it will be my first day of work and i will be paid already), are there possible conflict that may arise? like will i have problems in immigration here in Singapore and Indonesia because i am still not employed with this company because they will process my qpass after i cancel my spass with my previous employer and they want me to go in Indonesia even if my Qpass is still in processing to MOM. And still no assurance if r=they will approve it asap.
You do not need a Singapore work pass for working in Indonesia. But you may break Indonesian law by doing this without Indonesian work permit.

4. If ever I will come back to Singapore after my training in Singapore and my Qpass is rejected? can i come back to Singapore without any problems in Immigration?
You can come with a tourist visa (SVP) just like any other person - but if they suspect you want to work illegally, the SVP will be rejected.

It's really not easy to get a job in Singapore. Qualification is rather important unless you know someone from inside the company that's able to recommend.I will not suggest you go by yourself fir walk ins. Because there's a quota foa company , they are able to hire foreigners when they already hired 7 or more locals depending on which sector. I think you should go to job agency like jobstreet.com.sg.... Don just take a plane there - expensive choice...Hope my advice help.

@Beppi Thank you very much for your advice. I'll surely keep that in mind. :)

@jason1975 I know its not easy to get a job in Singapore. I also don't think that getting a job anywhere in the world is easy, which is why I'm not looking for an easy way to get in anyway.  What I would like to know are the effective ways on how most foreigners were able to secure a job in Singapore.

I booked a flight to Singapore not just for job hunting but also for a vacation so I will not regret spending money to go there and enjoy myself :) Thank you for the advice!

@annekoolit and joshereen!

Hi ladies!

about my experience was not that bad, it took me 2 weeks to get a job, when i was in the philippines i kept sending my application thru online everday and list all the company location plus phone number, then when i got here i make a call all of the companies on my list one by one plus sending my resume personally in the company, sometimes they conduct the interview on the spot and also also thru phone calls, so my advise try them all, walk-in, phone calls and online. keep sending your resume everday and tell them that u gonna be visit singapore followed by the exact date of your visiting.

i hope u understand my english haha!

cheers!
je

may i know which agency u had applied in SG with smaller fee than others? :)

hi. anything about singapore? simonsunil

kitpot wrote:

may i know which agency u had applied in SG with smaller fee than others? :)

Recruitment agencies in Singapore are not allowed to charge job applicants a fee - it's by law and if they do charge, they are illegal!

(Moderated)

Just trying to offer the latest situation on employment of foreigners in reality now in Singapore. The dynamics have changed a lot since that protest rally in February. Foreigners can still try to find jobs at your own risk but not as easy as before! That's all!

wq8520 wrote:

Hello everyone! Just want to ask ur opinion/advice...I will be going in SG next month for job hunt actually I have friends and previous officemates there who got the job by agency which cost more than $2000 I find it very expensive but they told me its the only way to get a job easily within 30 days...Is that true? Actually since the start of this month I was applying online but got no response...they said you should be at least a university graduate but unfortunately I'm not...so I just decided to book a ticket and go there by April and try to have walk-in applications or by agency like others which is salary deduction.
What should I do? Pls help.

can u tell me some agencies in Singapore?

Check the online job boards (e.g. monster.com.sg, jobsdb.com.sg), many of the ads there are placed by recruitment agencies.
Please note that in Singapore agencies are not allowed to charge the job seeker. In my experience they are also basically useless, especially when it comes to slightly more complicated cases (as a foreigner automatically is). You are better off searching on your own!

Hi I am looking for job in Singapore i have 3 years experience as a Desktop support engineer.I need some advice i am looking  to go April which is the best time for searching job and IT chances for foreigners

The best time for a job search is just after Chinese New Year (in 2014 it is end of January).
Your chances are good if you have skills and work experiences that are rare in Singapore, because the employer has to justify to the authorities why he cannot hire a similarly qualified local instead of you.

Nfirdaus, thanks for posting ur thoughts - great value!

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please post only in English
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

roseferrer: please see thread activity before posting anything. This thread was inactive since July, 2003 and not sure what prompt you to open this.

You may create a thread for any help or things to highlight in Singapore forum for other users to respond or to take a note. Thanks