Dorado, Condado, Palmas or Isla Verde

Hello everyone, my wife and I will be moving to Puerto Rico in 3 weeks. We will stay in hotel for a week or 2 till we find a rental. We have been to Puerto Rico many times as my wife has been working there  a couple weeks a year for 10 years now. She will be working in San Juan. We are looking in Condado, Dorado,
isla Verde and Palmas.  Condado makes the most sense as the commute will de the shortest. We are boaters here in Pittsburgh and Palmas looks awesome for boating but the commute looks brutal. Dorado is beautiful but again the commute maybe a little far. Isla Verde also looks very nice.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you, Dan

I defer to others with far greater knowledge, but Condado and east to Ocean Park to Carolina/Isla Verde are exactly where I'd want to live, especially if I had a job in San Juan and was willing and able to pay the rents commanded in these areas.

Keeps,
Definitely the commute fro Dorado and Palmas would be murder. There are several communities around Condado, such as Isla Verde, Santurce, Hato Rey, and others where the rentals would be more in line. Condado is very expensive, Isla Verde is cheaper but still on the high side. The more away you move from the beach the cheaper it gets.

My advice is to live as close to work as reasonably possible. I'd trade higher rent for knowing I'd get to work on time and in one piece, as traffic around there is ridiculous and a sudden storm can make it impossible.

That area has decent public transportation, so if you don't have far to go, you might consider leaving the car at home and taking the bus. It's only 75 cents, and worth it. A free trolly goes back and forth from Condado to Viejo San Juan, so if you work and live somewhere along its route, you can save yourself both money and aggravation.

Condado or Ocean Park is best. Isla Verde is a noticeable step down. Palmas and Dorado are too far.

Thank you all, we will have lots of visitors so i wanted to be in a nice beach area. I won't have a job when we move down to P.R. so I'm not sure what i'll be doing yet. I know the boating out of Fajardo is wonderful does anyone know how the boating is out of San Juan? We are recreational boaters very little fishing.
Thanks for all the quick responses.
Keets

Hi, Keets. You're definitely right about the boating in Fajardo. Best place for marinas, beauty and destinations IMO. I get the impression that the seas are rougher around San Juan.

Salinas is also an option that's a reasonable drive from SJ for a weekend.

Good luck!

Since you won't be working and you only would go to the airport a few times a year and since you like Fajardo, I would recommend then Luquillo, Fajardo, Ceiba, Naguabo and Humacao (Palmas Del Mar is there).
They all have nice beaches. Prices are not bad but a little expensive in Palmas (not as bad as Condado).
I love that whole area and I myself will be moving next summer to Ceiba.

See this site, it has a little information of all the towns of Puerto Rico, it also has a map that you can use to judge what is where. http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

PS. Laying in a hammock, drinking a rum drink, while watching the sea and or the señoritas are very popular and serious activities in PR :lol: .

We also have many rivers with Cascades and natural river pools, forests and trails, mountains to climb, reefs to explore, many islands, islets and sand banks to checkout. Sorry forgot we also have some nice lakes. Nature is everywhere!

Thank you for the website. I won't be working, however my wife will be in San Juan.  From what i've seen and read the shorter the commute the better. I may look for something, work wise,  but for now i'll just learn the area so we can explore on the weekends and holidays.  I looked at Salinas, looks like a lot of little islands right off the coast to boat to looks nice. Thanks.  Now to find a boat and maybe a part time job. 
Thanks everyone, Keets

use google maps to see distances and traffic conditions. Put a pin down and then see how long it will take from the pin to your wife work.

Daily commute from Palmas would be very difficult.  You did not mention children so I assume schools are not a factor.  Dorado without traffic is 35-40 minutes from Condado.  Isla Verde and Condado are most common for those wanting beach views or directly on the beach. I moved a year ago and am very happy that I chose Condado over Isla Verde. Mirimar is another area that is growIng rapidly.  There is a sailing "rental" program that several of my friends belong to. Feel free to message me and I can connect you with that group!  Welcome to PR!  Charna

Agree with cboq: Condado is much nicer than Isla Verde.

Hello Dan,

If working in San Juan area and prefer the city like atmosphere Condado if Not Dorado, is my next choice about 30 min away.

Alexander

A lot depends on your needs, Dorado is in the north of the island, there are no islands there to visit, rough beaches, and strong currents can make you drown. If you like fishing for big game it is a great place. Lots of amenities in Dorado and nice homes if you have that kind of cash.
So it depends what you like and the life style you prefer.

I live in the Nothern part, the only beach that is tough but beautiful is Mar Chiquita in Manatí other than that No beaches are alike. Today is one thing and tomorrow another. You'll find rough current anywhere in the island. Just as Rey said, it all depends on your lifestyle and needs. Where ever you decide to live in PR, you picked the best spot to live.