Please advise for a nice trip In Istanbul

Hi,

I'll be landing at Sabiha Gokcen on Friday 11th around 1 PM and need to be at Ataturk Airport at 9.30 PM to take another flight.
How long would it take to transfer between the 2 airports?
Do you think I'll have enough times to visit beautiful places on my way between the 2 airports?
Which places and how to do it at low cost?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need to change four modes of transportation, including buses.  Depending on the traffic it can be a time anywhere between 2.5 to 3.5 hours...
That gives you very limited time to see anything decently.
You might want to stop off at SultanAhmet on way and take a quick look at Blue Mosque or Hagia Sophia..

Thanks for your reply.
Please can you be more specific if I aim to visit the Blue Mosque, which buses and other transports? Where do I connect?

Usually I always Google the directions and it gives the shortest possible routes as most bus/trains routes are incorporated in Google searches now.. I think that will be the best way.

Good idea. Thanks again

No problem.
Enjoy travels!

I fear I am too late unfortunately.
But in case someone else sees this thread I would have suggested Taxi over public transport as mastering the transport System in Istanbul with a few hours would be quite tricky for a tourist.

A taxi would cost you around £20/30 from one airport to the other. It would take an hour in a taxi and I believe as Xeeschan said you would have been best to stop in Sultanahmet to see Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque or Grand Bazaar.

Hope you had a good trip in any case :)

If you decide to go back in the future, feel free to message me and I'll try and give you a better plan.

If I could only see one thing In Istanbul it would probably be the Grand Bazaar. This is ofcourse entirely personal, but it is just incredible.

Just a quick edit, the taxi fare from airport to airport easily 160/170 TL which translates roughly into £35-40 as of today. About an hour is ideal time, though considering the Istanbul traffic, there is a potential of it stretching up to two hours mark even with the new tunnel in operation now.

Plus in Istanbul, there is always the major risk of getting  ripped off easily. If your driver decides to take the second bridge for whatever reason/or decides to drive you around an unnecessarily longer route, you are potentially looking at £50/55 or even more easily.

LukeNunn wrote:

But in case someone else sees this thread I would have suggested Taxi over public transport as mastering the transport System in Istanbul with a few hours would be quite tricky for a tourist.

A taxi would cost you around £20/30 from one airport to the other. It would take an hour in a taxi and I believe as Xeeschan said you would have been best to stop in Sultanahmet to see Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque or Grand Bazaar.

If you decide to go back in the future, feel free to message me and I'll try and give you a better plan.

If I could only see one thing In Istanbul it would probably be the Grand Bazaar. This is ofcourse entirely personal, but it is just incredible.

Xeeschan wrote:

Just a quick edit, the taxi fare from airport to airport easily 160/170 TL which translates roughly into £35-40 as of today. About an hour is ideal time, though considering the Istanbul traffic, there is a potential of it stretching up to two hours mark even with the new tunnel in operation now.

Plus in Istanbul, there is always the major risk of getting  ripped off easily. If your driver decides to take the second bridge for whatever reason/or decides to drive you around an unnecessarily longer route, you are potentially looking at £50/55 or even more easily.

LukeNunn wrote:

Thank you Xeeschan,

My wife also agrees with you on the Istanbul Traffic and potential of 2 hours with Taxi.

Also a good point about the driver possibly taking the second bridge.

I guess the best thing to do in this situation is to have the route you want to take in mind and follow it on your phone using a google maps or equivalent. Question the driver if he deviates too much.

Maybe to get a tour can be an option fr to learn by itself ır will not be so understandblear begınıng

No problem Luke, : )

Yes, agreed! Travelling in Istanbul for more than three  years now, I still have to keep my eyes glued on the Maps on the cell phone. I still always turn on the GPS, load my route on the map, and keep my eyes on it all the time..

Happy travelling!

LukeNunn wrote:
Xeeschan wrote:

LukeNunn wrote:

Thank you Xeeschan,

My wife also agrees with you on the Istanbul Traffic and potential of 2 hours with Taxi.

Also a good point about the driver possibly taking the second bridge.

I guess the best thing to do in this situation is to have the route you want to take in mind and follow it on your phone using a google maps or equivalent. Question the driver if he deviates too much.