Opening hours for the market in QB?

Hi everyone.

We are planning to go to the market in Quatre Bornes tomorrow... does anyone know when it 'opens'? I can't seem to find the correct info anywhere online.

Thx in advance :)

Welcome on board Stinne ;)

It opens very early, around 5.00 in the morning ;)

It opens between 5-6 am and closes around 6pm. Although the sellers start to pack around 3-4 pm. That is also when the veggie/fruit prices drop!

It depends on what you want to buy

Veg and Friuts - Wed and Sat
Clothes        - Rest of the days

I hope this helps

Interesting; I had no idea! We've been at the market a million times but always only on Thursdays and Sundays, since we were told several years ago that it's only open on these 2 days. It's great to know that we can go any day now :D (oh – and great tip on saving money on the fruit/vegetables, alisa_ram!)

Thanks for your help, all of you :)

Thursdays and Sundays are normally when you get the souvenirs to pick up from ( not too many though)... Guess thats why u were told about only these two days, with people assuming you were going there to pick up "touristy" things

Cheers,
Musheer

To be a little more lengthy: Sat and Wed are for fruits/veg/spice/meat/fish etc.

Thurs & Sunday are the main non-food day shopping bit, where you get good bargains in terms of clothes and accessories. If you want souvenirs, you might want to look elsewhere as most stuff are imported.

Usually Mondays have no particular activity; but lately I see there are clothes and accessories being sold.

The LAST monday of each month, you have the cooperative fair, where you have clothes, food, veg etc that farmers or people produce hand made stuff come. I like this coz you find interesting thing that are HAND MADE by these people! And the price is not too bad as well.

Apart from the QB veg market, you will have good deals at the Vacoas one as well. If am not mistaken the market days are on Tues and Fri.

each market has a day, i think for vacoas, its in tuesdays and fridays

i think earlier is for B2B: market sellers: they start their business at 3am or more. Planters come with vegetable & fruit traders to sell their gross at market veg sellers. Then you(us) get the produce on tables early in mornings :)

an advice: morning buys are better, u can get fresher stuffs :)

cheers,
an islander.

the early morning markets are known as la Ventre ( pardon my french :P). Here the farmers and wholesalers collect in Vacoas and Port Louis Markets to sell their vegetable and fruits to the retailers, who then go and sell it the markets such as Q.B at prices after their margins :)

musheer wrote:

the early morning markets are known as la Ventre ( pardon my french :P). Here the farmers and wholesalers collect in Vacoas and Port Louis Markets to sell their vegetable and fruits to the retailers, who then go and sell it the markets such as Q.B at prices after their margins :)

It's 'la vente'; usually more creole than french. "ventre" means tummy.

The early morning market is when the farmers auction their veg/fruits to the stall sellers, then they sell to the public.

well friends, if you miss a day, better grab another market in the nearby town, we have markets in:
> rose hill
>vacoas
>curepipe
>quatres bornes
> Port louis.

cheers,
islander