What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Sweden?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Sweden? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Sweden? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
The Arbetsförmedling database is a really good way nowadays to find a job, or for managers to find you. For technical work, you do not need Swedish - I work with lots of Swedish customers and I am fluent in Swedish but they rarely use Swedish at work because none of their teams are entirely Swedish.
I have read hundreds of CV in the last year, so I can tell you what to do, and not do.
• If you are applying to my company, do not send a generic CV that says "I want a job". You need to be applying for a specific role in the company, at a specific office. From your CV I should be able to see you have experience which is relevant to the job. The cover letter (there should always be one) should not repeat the CV - you should use a few lines to say why you chose my company and this job, and why you are relevant. You would be surprised how many people don't do these obvious things!
• In your on-line CV in Platsbanken, if you list every single thing you are interested in, you will get nothing. When I read someone interested to do 40 things, that tells me that you don't know what you want to do and you are wildly fishing. Keep the list short. Similarly, only include experience relevant to that job; when you tell me you know MS Office, it tells me you don't know much - today everyone knows how to use computers, so if you have to say you do - it is a worry. I also don't need to know that you know how to tie knots in rope. Once again, you would be surprised how many people write terrible CVs.

I understand wanting to have a chance with as many jobs as possible, but in reality that works against you. Keep the CV in platsbanken brief and factual. The cover letter is for the personal edge why you want that job, and why someone should choose you.