What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in the Philippines?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in the Philippines? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in the Philippines? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

If you are moving to the Philippines to find a job you will be really disappointed.  You better have something already lined up or have income from outside sources.

SolarBissenis Perfect Recoment.....

I have a Ph.D. and spent seventeen years teaching both English and Psychology at the college level in the United States.  I am also a published author of two books and numerous articles in professional journals.  One of my books received an award for its contribution to social justice. 

When I retired here in the Philippines, I tried to find a part time job teaching at a college in Cebu.   In spite of my education and teaching history,  I was unable to find a job.  I have served as a guest speaker at two universities in Cebu, both having been well received, yet there have been no job offers.   This has been quite disheartening.  I did not want to teach full time, but was certainly prepared to teach two or three courses a semester. 

I have drawn my own conclusions about why this might have been so, but am curious about the experience of others.

Hi, Victoria. Maybe they are afraid that they will not be able to afford your asking salary?

They never even asked me what I expected.  I was fully prepared to get paid what they would pay any Filipino teacher.

Degrees in Electronics and Computer Science have been out of work a total of 10 days in 40 years. Extensive experience in IT receive at least 4 head hunter queries a day from US not even one nibble in the Philippines but received a couple of nibbles out of Singapore.  You would do well to open your own business  Wilkie (spelling?) has some Youtube pointers on opening a call center that should extend to other businesses.

my step mom is filipina , and she says better way is to have a relative working already in a certain place.. hecan gives you a good recommendation there to work

And what were your own conclusions?

i have been there only for 2 weeks

Mr, Adel its all depends what is your profession?  if you are  related with IT profession you have some batter chances not only to have a good job but also a good salary? But aside from that its always hard to get a job in here since i dunno your profession i cannot recommend you anything, pls let me know your plan so maybe i can provide you some useful information. thanks