What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Malta?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Malta? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Malta? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Both my wife and myself found jobs quickly. We both speak English but not Maltese. Some jobs do specify Maltese only, but there are many Maltese and  international companies that are happy to employ regardless of nationality, providing you have a good command of English.

I believe you have more chance of finding a position if you are here and not applying from abroad.

Hello,

Talking from my experience, writing a curriculum in Italty or in Malta is just the same boring process.

The difference is that here in Malta If you have a documented professional record you can be easily hired. But knowledge of english is a must have, otherwise no way.

Then being lucky and doing a presentation letter along with the curriculum vitae is something very appreciated.

I hope that this post might help,

Bye

Does it mean we can apply a job even if we have just a tourist visa? How long will it take to process the permit once we found a job? I am planning to risk for one month to find a job and live in Malta. Thanks in advance to whoever will response.

Unfortunately as a third country national I would think it very difficult to gain employment on just a one month tourist visa especially as an accountant. These positions are easily filled by EU nationals, of whom there are many on Malta. Employers are far more likely to employ these rather than go through the bureaucracy of taking on someone from outside the EU. By all means travel over on a tourist visa and try and find employment in your field, but I suspect you may be disappointed. Good luck anyway.

I found a job as an English, non-Maltese speaker through KeepMePosted.com.  That is a good resource.  Maltapark.com is alright as well.  There are many recruiters on the island.  I met with some and they were helpful, but in the end it was best to find something on my own.

Best of luck!