What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Germany?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Germany? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Germany? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Many foreigners are trying to find jobs in Germany.
Although the economy is doing well and there are manpower shortages in many industries, it is not easy and requires good preparation (and luck) to find one.

As everywhere, the most important factors are
- Skills: Do you have a (recognised) university degree, other educational certificates, and/or several years good working experience in areas with high demand? There is very little demand for unskilled labour or fresh graduates.
- Language: Good German language skills (B2 level or better) are required any job that needs to liase with customers, suppliers, partners or colleagues - and that means almost all jobs!
- Visa: EU citizens and others with existing work permits (e.g. on a family reunion visa) have a huge advantage, as they can join any company freely and without additional paperwork required. For others, the job market will be limited and they need to convince the employer that hiring them is worth the extra effort and risk.

Job openings can be found through online ads (e.g. on Stepstone or similar portals) or headhunters (which in turn you find on Stepstone). Unsolicited applications are also welcomed by German companies and often open up opportunities that you won't find in job ads.
Your application letter, consisting of CV and cover letter, must be well written (nice layout, no grammar or language mistakes!), targeted (do research about the company first!) and convincing (focus on what you can and will do for the company!).
Interviews are usually in person (although a first screening might be done by phone). Styles differ between companies and individuals, so be prepared for the unexpected. You must present yourself well, incl. in punctuality, grooming and dressing.
After an interview (or sometimes several interviews), the company sends either a rejection letter or an offer. Negotiations about salary, etc. will only start after that (do not ask before!).

More information is available in the many discussions about the topic in this forum. Please read them first before posting your questions!

If you want to find a job in Berlin startups, you should try berlinstartupjobs.com.

Are you looking job in Germany?

I was working for a German company in England before I moved to Dresden in Germany.
Mainly they look for good attitude and flexibility of learning new things like learning German language and adapting to German culture.

I am still learning and trying to understand the German culture.

hopefully this helps.

If you only speak English , you should try Shipping Companies in Hamburg.

Because must of he Bussniese is International
They need people who's speaks English

Plz i need to find a work in germany here and any option that i can follow......

Alagie Camara wrote:

Plz i need to find a work in germany here and any option that i can follow......

Did you already read the many discussions about this topis on the forum (and elsewhere). If you follow the advice given there, you can maximize your chances of finding a job!