What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Cambodia?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Cambodia? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Cambodia? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Working in Cambodia? Forget it. Last year Cambodia said all foreigners need a work book and a work card wether you work here or not. So I paid for my work book. 9 month later I got my work book but no work Card. So I said.  Where is my work card, she said the government has changed the law/ rule. You don't need a work book or work card anymore. Ok, then where's my money? This year they changed it again as my friend in Siem Reap just applied for a new work book and work card but nowcyou need to take a complete physical which cost an additional $130 usd . I'm not doing this again and falling for their trap it's a total waste of time and money. I'll work here, but I'm not paying for a work book or card,,,no way
I'll move to Thailand, Vietnam or India

I moved to Cambodia 3 years ago from Thailand. Those of you may know the PITA it is to get a work permit there.almost impossible. I move here as a teacher looking for a job. Stayed at a nice guest house near the river to enjoy the time while I looked for work. I had my CV all together. Make sure you have extra pictures to give them. Went on line and made a list of schools. Doesn't matter if they are hiring or not they are always looking. I got my list and talked to a Tuk-Tuk driver and showed him the schools and address. I would do 5 schools a day in the morning and that''s it. On my third day of looking I dropped off a CV at a school got in the Tuk-Tuk went around the corner and they called me ( 3 minutes) after leaving. Went and did interview next day started the day after....I had a contract for 2 years and in that time I had picked up private students. I had so may private that I was making more money then my contract and I was paid after each hour ..cash in my pocket..(beer money)..It has been 6 months since my contract was up and I did not renew. I am now the GM of a brand new Hotel/Coffee Shop/Roof Top Bar thanks to my connections I've made with my private students. I still have private students but only a few but I keep turning away new students. I don't have the time. As for work permits, the school will arrange everything for you that is if your a good teacher and friendly...Life is good here if you relax and give it time...Be Nice

Sorry, I'm retired and don't want to walk anymore.

+ yingapartments   have you learned cambodian?

were you  teaching english, or other as well?

how much / hour were you getting for private teaching?

Hi Vita,

I have taught English and German as a foreign language in the USA, Germany, France, Luxembourg and Korea. Have been out of teaching for many years. Income was always different from time to time and country to country. I speak French as well, My email address is *** and if you email me I can send you a CV. thanks for your interest. otherwise my tle. no. in the USA is **** Rick Fogle

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct