Going to Brasil for 2 months (September-November)

Hi guys,

I am going to be in Brasil (Sao Paulo/Indianopolis area) for 2 months as of the beginning of September.

I have been there twice before so I am generally familiar with the people, cost, & culture. 

I will be quitting my job at the end of this month and heading over to Brasil with around R 6000 - R 8000 for the two months.  I have already paid for the flat/flight tickets.

My question's are:
- Is that enough money for me? 
- Is there anything I can do there for some extra pocket change?  I will obviously be traveling with a tourist visa.
- I will be interested to take day trips to the beach if possible, is that expensive?
- I would like to meet new people, what is the best way?
- My long term goal is to live in Brasil permanently, and majority of my trips focus will be on reasearch for that.  I currently work in sales as an energy broker.  I am open to different sales jobs, but primarily my intention is to get a job visa at some point in the near future.  (I am aware I need to return to my  country of residence to apply)

Feel free to give me any additional tips that will make my 2 months stay in Indianopolis as awesome and smooth as possible.

Arlandass wrote:

Hi guys,

I am going to be in Brasil (Sao Paulo/Indianopolis area) for 2 months as of the beginning of September.

I have been there twice before so I am generally familiar with the people, cost, & culture. 

I will be quitting my job at the end of this month and heading over to Brasil with around R 6000 - R 8000 for the two months.  I have already paid for the flat/flight tickets.

My question's are:
- Is that enough money for me? 
- Is there anything I can do there for some extra pocket change?  I will obviously be traveling with a tourist visa.
- I will be interested to take day trips to the beach if possible, is that expensive?
- I would like to meet new people, what is the best way?
- My long term goal is to live in Brasil permanently, and majority of my trips focus will be on reasearch for that.  I currently work in sales as an energy broker.  I am open to different sales jobs, but primarily my intention is to get a job visa at some point in the near future.  (I am aware I need to return to my  country of residence to apply)

Feel free to give me any additional tips that will make my 2 months stay in Indianopolis as awesome and smooth as possible.

the amount of Money sound not to bad to me but it all depens on your lifestyle in Brazil
1) work wise, your unable to do any work on a tourist visa
2) the wose thing you have done is. You should not tell people on here how much your going to bring with you,, your get robbed,
3) there is no work for none beazilians here and even less for people that dont speak portugese
4) the best thing find your self a brazilian girl friend  it makes everything so much easier

Well, I think R$8000 is enough to get by on your own. Depends if you are a drinker or like to eat a lot. Having airfare and flat already paid for is a plus. Day trips can be cheap if you figure out bus system or Uber.

To earn extra cash here would be impossible. I would say teach English privately, but by the time you find students and start you would be going home. An idea for the future would be an online job. I see a lot of them that require sales experience. Most are remote jobs working in America and getting paid USD. Check out LinkedIn under remote job search.

As a native speaker there is websites that pay $22-25 USD an hour teaching English. You only get paid for what classes you get, but its in dollars. Usually in Beijing and the hours are 6am-11am local time here in Brazil. Its a little extra money and all you need is a banner to hang behind you and good working internet (hopefully your flat has).   

Don't carry all that cash. Tell your bank you are traveling and ATM withdrawal when needed. Gringos are a target and be safe. Don't be out wandering around after dark. Be careful of who you become friends with. Finding a girlfriend is a great way to really immerse into the culture and see Brazil on the cheap...unless you get a high maintenance one.

I survive here on a few part time jobs and a retirement check. It can be expensive once you settle in and really live here. Good Luck!

Hey Craig, what are the websites? To teach English?

Thanks

http://www.goodairlanguage.com/teaching … -online-2/

Here is a good list of them all, I found the one I work for on Monster.com (ABC English On-Line in Beijing) and started there in January. I don't have the ESL certificate, but had teaching experience. Plus a bachelors degree. 

I will PM you more details of my experience. Don't want to slam this guys thread with teaching on-line stuff. If any one else wants full details PM me and I will tell you too.

Ok cool thanks

That's great, thank you!