Buying birds in HCMC

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy birds and a cage for them in HCMC? I am not looking for fancy parrots, just a pair of simple small birds like budgies.

Google offers pet shops which sell only cat/dog supplies and a couple of outdated articles describing various markets. I went to one so-called bird market but the only thing I saw was just poor 20 birds sitting in a tiny cage on the side of the road, not looking so well.. That was pretty much it.

So I wonder if anyone knows a breeder or a pet shop where I could by all the supplies and the birds?

Thanks a lot!

get a Vietnamese friend to take you down to the parks / coffee shops where people display their birds on the weekends in the mornings. You'll definitely find someone through the meet up group with some birds to sell :)

Vietnamese men keep birds as a competitive hobby.  You can see them traveling with caged birds shrouded and strapped to the back of their motorbikes.  Generally they are going to specialty cafe's that serve as gathering places.  You can recognize them by the bird pictures on the signage.  I never went to one having been to enough "chicken" fights in Hawaii, but the wife tells me that they compete by placing cages next to each other so that the birds will compete by song and they will occasionally put two birds in to one cage for direct combat.  I expect that they compete with male birds but someone must be keeping lines of breeding females in the same way lines are maintained for fighting roosters.

Lê Hồng Phong in D10 is a pet store street. north of Nguyễn Trãi. Sad dogs, cats in cages, and should be birds too. Mostly 'inside' shops.

There are also birds sold in this alley, Tân Hưng, in D5 here .  Definitely were budgies and song birds among the roosters and doves. Don't know about cages though.

Coffee Shop - Ngoc Nga Canary in Binh Thanh district.
Facebook page

Went there a few days ago.
A small shop, their prime business is breeding and selling mostly exotic birds. They also sell bird cages, bird feed, feeders and all other accessories one may wish to have to keep birds as pet.
You can take a 15k coffee and sit there observing the birds.

Birds on display included Canaries, Budgies, Indian Parrots, Lorikeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Macaws, one Myna, several Cockatoos and a lone Drongo. Some of these birds looked in good shape.

I saw a box full of chicks (prolly budgies). They were being hand-fed. The way the owners were handling those tiny birds was, IMO, awful.

Worth checking it out though!

@oxanase2 Do you want to raise a lovebird?
-@annalim2356

Check the date of the last post before replying.

Closed