Buying resort property in Honduras

After i read below, i would ask really how safe this is, i was quite interested in this area but with the info below my wife would never consder it in a 100 years:

Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world and to quote below "of the 24 murders committed against U.S. citizens since January 2010, police have closed none."

Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Print
Email

Honduras

November 21, 2012

The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens about the security situation in Honduras.

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens safely visit Honduras each year for study, tourism, business, and volunteer work. However, crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country. Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world. San Pedro Sula is considered to be the world's most violent city, with 159 murders for every 100,000 residents in 2011. These threats have increased substantially over the past several years, and incidents can occur anywhere. In January 2012, the Peace Corps withdrew its volunteers from the country to conduct an administrative review of the security situation.

U.S. citizens do not appear to be targeted based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations generally have lower levels of crime and violence than other areas of the country. Moreover, tourists traveling with group tours only rarely report criminal incidents. In June 2012, the government agreed to increase police presence in areas frequented by tourists, such as the Copan Mayan ruins and Roatan. The government also established special tourist police forces in Copan and Roatan and is evaluating this option in other locations. Additionally, major hotels and other tourist installations have increased security, including with the help of police, in response to the crime epidemic.

A majority of serious crimes are never solved; of the 24 murders committed against U.S. citizens since January 2010, police have closed none. Members of the Honduran National Police have been known to engage in criminal activity, such as murder and car theft. The Government of Honduras lacks sufficient resources to properly investigate and prosecute cases, and to deter violent crime.  The Honduran government is in the early stages of substantial reforms to its criminal justice institutions.

Transnational criminal organizations conduct narcotics trafficking and other unlawful activities throughout the country and use violence to control drug trafficking routes and carry out other criminal activity. Other criminals, acting both individually and in gangs in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula, commit crimes such as murder, kidnapping, carjacking, armed robbery, rapes, and other aggravated assaults.

Kidnappings and disappearances are a concern throughout the country. Kidnapping affects both the local and expatriate communities, with victims sometimes paying large ransoms for the prospect of release. Kidnapping is believed to be underreported. 

U.S. citizens should be vigilant of their surroundings at all times, especially when entering or exiting their homes or hotels, cars, garages, schools, and workplaces. Whenever possible, travel in groups of two or more persons. Avoid wearing jewelry and do not carry large sums of money or display cash, ATM/credit cards, or other valuables. Avoid walking at night in most areas of Honduras, and do not walk alone on beaches, historic ruins, or trails. Incidents of crime along roads, including carjacking and kidnapping, are common in Honduras. Motorists should avoid traveling at night and always drive with their doors locked to deter potential robberies at traffic lights and on congested downtown streets.

The location and timing of criminal activity is unpredictable. We recommend that all travelers exercise caution when traveling anywhere in Honduras. However, certain areas of the country demonstrate higher levels of criminal activity than others. Honduran “departments” (a geographic designation similar to U.S. states) with crime rates higher than the national average include:

Atlantida (where La Ceiba is located)
Colon
Copan (where the Mayan ruins are located)
Cortes (where San Pedro Sula is located)
Francisco Morazan (where Tegucigalpa is located)
Ocotepeque
Yoro

Certain areas of Olancho, particularly the municipalities of Catacamas, Juticalpa, San Francisco de la Paz, and Santa Maria de Real, also report a significantly high crime rate.

For more detailed information regarding personal security, please see the State Department's Country Specific Information for Honduras. For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Bureau of Consular Affairs' Web site, where the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. U.S. citizens living or traveling in Honduras are strongly encouraged to sign up for the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to obtain updated information on travel and security within Honduras.

The Embassy is located on Avenida La Paz in Tegucigalpa and can be reached by telephone at (504) 2236-9320/2238-5114 or by fax at (504) 2236-9037. For after-hours emergencies, please call (504) 2236-8497. The Embassy's American Citizen Services Unit can be reached directly by fax at (504) 2238-4357 or by e-mail at [email protected]. The American Citizen Services Unit's Facebook page, facebook.com/acstegucigalpa, is another resource for updated security information. Travelers may register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. Travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens should also consult the U.S. Embassy in Honduras and the U.S. Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula.  Stay up to date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs Web site, which contains Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebookand download the Smart Traveler App for iPhone or Android.

The U.S. Consular Agency in San Pedro Sula, which accepts passport applications and performs notarial services, is located on the eleventh floor of the Banco Atlantida building (across from Central Park), telephone (504) 2558-1580. The agency is open Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. In case of emergency in the San Pedro Sula/north coast area, please contact the Embassy in Tegucigalpa at (504) 2236-9320/2238-5114, which will forward the call to the Consular Agent if necessary.

The department also states that is fairly safe around touristic areas with increased police presence in those areas.  Trujillo Honduras is the safest city in all of Honduras with warm hearted people living in the area.  I can also tell you that in any country in the world there are always going to be good and bad areas.  It's up to you the traveler as to where you want to walk through.  Know your surroundings and only stay in the touristic areas.  I can say this even in my home city of Toronto.  Don't go to certain areas at night time it's dangerous.  Common sense should prevail.  My wife was in Honduras with my partner for one month and felt very safe.  Again use better judgement and mind your own business and you will have a great time in beautiful Honduras.

Look up the UK's travel warning for The US and Canada. From a foreigners perspective by reading these I suppose they wouldn't even travel there ?!?
How about travel warnings for Belize or Costa Rica ?

February 2012, I wanted to share my experiences with RECAP.  I purchased a lot sight unseen in Costa Rica.  It had a money back guarantee if I didn't like it.  Well I flew down to Costa Rica because I heard nightmares of horror stories about scams and such.  I have to tell you that Recap exists, the project exists, and the people are genuine.   I ended up not liking the area and asked for my money back.  And they sent it back...so I must say that they are who they say they are...a reputable company.  But I would suggest spending the money and seeing the parcel you are purchasing!

I now live in La Ceiba Honduras my husband had to return to the states.. I feel very safe in my community and the surrounding areas.. I feel so blessed to wake up every morning and hear the waves crashing on the shore line.. and look the other direction and I see pico bonita..it amazing... La Ceiba.. you get my vote..

Were very interested in njoi, Trujillo, Beach Residences in Honduras.We have a 7pm interview this evening but no very little.Everything sounds great but...? Were from Canada and would appreciate any help you could give us on the subject,thanks

Davisor1 wrote:

Were very interested in njoi, Trujillo, Beach Residences in Honduras.We have a 7pm interview this evening but no very little.Everything sounds great but...? Were from Canada and would appreciate any help you could give us on the subject,thanks

Ask as many questions as you can first. Then, take a trip down to see the property first hand. Look at other opportunities before handing out any cash.

I visited Trujillo Honduras this March 2013 and looked at Njoi property there. Whether to buy there is the question? Local people all seemed very friendly with some pan handling. 
  The climate was sunny, 29 degrees C every day and light winds. Feels comfortable during the day and humid at night.
  The beach faces North and is beautiful as is the Ocean. A protected bay,it was calm in the mornings and then small waves developed as the wind got up in the afternoon. Very scenic with small mountains about 3000 meters high often with clouds at the top. The small town is developing a cruise ship port, new comcrete block houses, also new small central plaza with concrete cobble stones.
  No English spoken by the locals, most people speak Spanish.
  Prices seem reasonable with gasoline a liitle less than here and Diesel even less expensive.
  It was not recommended to go out or drive at night.
I flew in via Roatan and the connection is a short flight to LaCeiba so Trujillo is about 3 hours drive to the East from LaCieba. The flights do not connect so I don't reccommend this unless you check to see in fact you can leave the same day. It may be preferable to fly to San Pedro Sulla which is about 3 hours drive West of LaCieba. It may be possible to arrange a flight by a local pilot between San Pedro Sulla and Trujillo. Trujillo.

Did you stop by any other areas or only Trujillo ?

There's so many ways to get to La Ceiba:
Cayman Islands, direct from Canada, San Pedro Sula, Tegus (capital), Roatan and more. This is another reason many foreigners purchase in or around La Ceiba vs flying long hours then driving a lot more to Trujillo. Can make for an exhausting couple days of travel

La Ceiba has all the great views you just mentioned and none of the draw backs (driving at night or english)among many more next time contact me I will give you a free tour of our wonderful city!

Hi everybody, I am Dorian, Canadian, and I have few updates.
I am watching for over 18 month all conversations related to Eco Beach, La Ceiba , Trujillo. I will try to be very short: I purchased one year ago lot 251 at TBED and my good friend Cornel bought lot 250. Prior paying the lot amount I traveled there for a week and I spent some time in La Ceiba, Trujillo and at TBED thanks to Recap local Guide.At that time i found everything ok, i needed few hours to get over all insecurity feelings, most of them induced by others, people are nice, they are poor but happy. This year both of us ( lot 250 and 251) we started the houses construction, looks like everything will be done by July or August. I was interested at some point to buy a house in La Ceiba, beach front, but the fact that almost all properties for sale that are not situated in a gated community they have those solid steel bars at windows and doors make me to change my mind, the house that I am building at TBED does not require this additional safety stuff. Anyway, looking back at all conversations related to TBED Status, my personal opinion is that Recap is doing a good job, you have to ask for updated directly Recap ( you will avoid wrong information's in this way) , the Construction process is on his way, Villas are sold, everything looks ok. This is the main reason we started our Houses Construction. I had the feeling that everybody was waiting for others to make first steps, it is understandable, our decision to start constructions was dictated only by economical reasons, the price is going up, soon other Owners will start this process too. Both Houses will have Pools, few amenities and will be ready for rent this year starting September, October. Both Builders that we contacted ( Recap - David and Rapidos - Gustavo ) they have nice Homes Models, really easy to deal with them, we are receiving weekly construction reports, pictures, receipts, everything is ok. Our Houses are built by Rapidos - Gustavo, one is about 1200 sq ft, two bedrooms, the other one 2 levels, each level 1200 sq ft, 4 bedrooms 2 kitchens.
It looks like the first big Cruiser will come at Banana Coast Terminal next year, I am confident that all Trujillo area will get a lot of business opportunities. And one more fact, one House built by Jaguar at the other gated Project - Life Vision - is for sale for $290 000, i think that a similar one was for sale last year for $160 000, these numbers are telling a lot about what is happening at Trujillo and area.   
I will try to answer to any questions, please just be patient, I am traveling a lot and I don't have Internet connection every day. I can send pictures from La Ceiba, Trujillo, TBED and I can detail my experiences there.
A good day for everybody.
Dorian - [email protected]

What places had bars on the windows in La Ceiba ? The expat community phases of La Ceiba Beach Club do not and are not needed. If you are speaking of over near Playa Helen's, they have bars on windows and walls surrounding the homes there which is on the other end of town about 25 minutes or so.

Hope all goes well with your home construction. If your ever in La Ceiba and have extra time, we can meet up along with other foreigners here.

Hi Chris, the mentioned Properties where Houses - beach front - i was looking into last year, March, April, I did not save the adds.
ty for your invitation, I will be in La Ceiba sometime in July, August, for sure we can meet, I'm buying the beer.
Dorian

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

There are more than a few "fake" members here. But, when the first post or thread started (post in this case) is a hardcore seller... Com on..

I could not agree more, due diligence is highly recommended buying property here or anywhere overseas for that matter.  There have been developers abandon jobs and take off with the cash leaving the buyers with a half finished home.

Look forward to meeting you in May Chris.

Matt

Hi,
I am looking at buying with Recap in Playa Lagarto in Costa Rica. I am having buyers remorse as buying a lot unseen is very scarey to me. Recap seems to have a guaranteed buyback if you don't like within 2 years. I too am looking for feedback on this investment. I need to decide today whether to send them the first instalment on the lot $8000. It is already a day late but they were pretty good about it. Seems like a really good deal, $25,000 for the last tiny lot in Phase 2. I don't care about size really as would not be indoors much and will probably be a rental. Would be interested in other peoples' experiences.

The best thing is to check the Property out first. Nothing more... Nothing less

Closed