Close

Taxi aggregator in Mauritius

Hi guys and girls

I was recently in Mauritius and severely felt the lack of a taxi cab aggregator service such as Uber in Mauritius. All the negotiations with taxi drivers (and the constant fear of getting ripped off) leaves a bad after taste about my otherwise perfect visit to the paradise island.

I understand that there are a couple of apps that are looking into this area, but what in your opinion is the reason that such a service does not exist in a mature form in a country that otherwise welcomes 1.3 million tourists?

Is it the lack of willingness on the part of taxi drivers? Operational issues or some governmental policy?

Look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Cheers! and Aller Maurice!

Here here to that! Having been totally ripped off once, after having no alternative, the taxi is not a good option thus far.

Is there any regulatory body even?

Hi,

It's a big problem. They should rule meters as compulsory in order to avoid the constant negotiation.
I think the market is mature for Uber-like businesses in Mauritius (but it's tiny): smartphones penetration is high and tourists often already equipped. I know from a certain source that Uber has already plans to launch operations here.

Good news then!

Thank you.

Taps :

Hi,

It's a big problem. They should rule meters as compulsory in order to avoid the constant negotiation.
I think the market is mature for Uber-like businesses in Mauritius (but it's tiny): smartphones penetration is high and tourists often already equipped. I know from a certain source that Uber has already plans to launch operations here.

True, only if something could be done about that. I'm not sure if the taxi union and drivers are willing to comply with regulations, go the metered way and be all honest about fares.

Not sure when Uber might focus on such a small market, meanwhile I was thinking if it is feasible to develop such an app and launch such a service?

Would be great to know views of people from the tourism / taxi industry.

Cheers!

Reading about the crackdown on illegal taxis with heavy penalties being imposed on passengers as well.

Could someone well versed with the local (NTA) laws suggest if such an aggregator would be legit in Mauritius?

Also, what do the laws say regarding car pooling?

Thanks

Hi,

There have been attempts in the past to introduce metering for taxis but have met with resistance from taxi and other private bus unions.

There have been renewed talks about its introduction recently and dunno what will be the outcome this time.

There is a local app called 'Alalila' which is similar to UBER albeit some differences which offer cab services.

http://www.alalila.mu/

There are also other agencies offering transfer and tour services which you can pre-book.

The sad reality is that a lot of taxi drivers have a low level of instruction. They can't use the Internet. They can't use a smartphone either. Their English and French is poor. Sometimes THEY are ripped off by their customers.

Expatriate health insurance in Mauritius

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mauritius

Moving to Mauritius

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mauritius

Travel insurance in Mauritius

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mauritius