Close

Looking for work ESL teaching

Hi
I'm going to be in Hamburg in August 2017
Can anyone give me useful directions regarding teaching English in Hamburg.
What do I know so far?
There is work as a business English teacher and this type of work is often found via middleman agencies or schools, you sign up with them, they find company contracts, send you and they pay you a set fee per hour while keeping a percentage of the fee paid by the company. They do not contribute towards health care or tax and ask you to be freelance. They also do not not pay travel costs. No holiday pay etc. You travel to the company in your own time. Very little job security. Is this about right?

What are the other options for teaching English in Hamburg, any good reputable language schools that pay a decent monthly salary?

For freelance engagements, what you describe is the norm.
Of course there are also other schools where you could apply, from public schools (which require an educational university degree) to private language schools (which usually want a TEFL certificate and teaching experience and also often engage on a freelance basis only).
In any case, you need to have good German skills, to speak to students and employers.

Thanks Beppi, really appreciate your advice.

beppi :

For freelance engagements, what you describe is the norm.
Of course there are also other schools where you could apply, from public schools (which require an educational university degree) to private language schools (which usually want a TEFL certificate and teaching experience and also often engage on a freelance basis only).
In any case, you need to have good German skills, to speak to students and employers.

The better one’s German is the more likely one can get a job. That said; a native English speaker with good credentials has a chance. People signing up for business English are usually not beginners and one can expect they can converse well enough that a teacher does not have to have great German skills. This is an exception to the general rule but I have experienced it. My wife is German and an experienced tutor. She was training business English and communication in a large company years ago and got sick. I jumped into to replace her for a couple of days and this caused some problems, not that they didn’t like me but that they basically would have preferred to keep me rather than my wife. She can explain English grammar better than I can but I am a native speaker with a degree in business. At the time my German was pretty basic and I have no teaching certifications. Not all jobs in big companies are well paid because many also hire on a freelance basis with no benefits and often offer limited hours. But if one wants a well-paid position, it is probably more likely to be found in a company than at a language school.

Expatriate health insurance in Hamburg

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hamburg

Moving to Hamburg

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hamburg

Travel insurance in Hamburg

Enjoy stress-free travel to Hamburg

Flights to Hamburg

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Hamburg