Considering moving to Punta Cana area

Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering moving to the Punta Cana area. We need a location in the DR that is convenient to an airport that our family can easily access and this area seems to work from that standpoint.  We are visiting next month to check out the areas. I am a bit confused as to the overwhelming difference in what I am reading while researching the area. One article discusses the overwhelming crime and litter in the area, while another talks about small petty theft and overall beautiful environment.

I am sure my trip will enlighten me,however I am hoping to get some info as to areas around Punta Cana that others have input on.

Thanks!

HI MerrottM,

My wife and I arrive next Friday in PC for two months to see if we can make it into our new home. Think PC is a good match for us now but we will probably explore the north coast as well. We'll be spending a good deal of time with Real Estate agents and will be happy to share what we experience. Hope your trip goes well. When there send out a note and maybe we can say hello over coffee/drinks.

JOHN

Yes this trip will show you much of what you want to know. 

Everyone who posts has a filter, a set of experiences and  assumptions that  effects how and what we are going to say. I am no exception of course.

We all have our biases.  Go and experience it, look around, keep your eyes, your ears and your mind open!   

Then continue reading and asking questions!  Travel as much as you can, check out the other areas of the country if that is appropriate to you.  THere is sooooo much to see here.  Each area is different from the others!  Find what works for you.

Hello MerrottM
My wife and I have moved to the Dominican Republic in the Punta Cana area about two years ago to Bavaro and is only approximately 15 minutes from the airport.
We are very centrally located to some very good shopping areas for grocery's and all your needs and not far from some major larger city's like Higuey and La Romana.
Yes it is a little more touristy but do have a good mix of locals and tourists and also find it a very safe area to be in, and like every one say's just watch who you befriend and dont flaunt your belongings as they are not rich people and have very little and do look at gringos as rich people. But on the other hand we have made some very good friends and the majority of the people always have a smile for you and are very friendly, and all you have to do is smile back and say Hola.  Have never had a problem with it being unsafe and do go out late at night, but just know not to go down any of the dark and lonely streets in the area and stay on the more busier roads.
Hope it all works out for you and maybe we will run into you in Bavaro area and send out a message when in the punta Cana area and maybe we can meet up for a coffee or even a cerveza.
Rigger

Thank you John.  I am hoping we find it to be a good match for us as well.  I look forward to your update and will do the same. Thanks again.

Rigger,  thank you very much for replying. I appreciate the feedback and advise. This is such a big decision that feedback whether positive  or negative  is good information. I feel a bit more at ease. I am brushing up on my Spanish. I will defiantly reach out when we are in the area.

Hello MerrittM
Yes Spanish is a very valuable asset which will help you allot in the D.R. no matter where you end up on the Island. Right now we are on Holidays in Canada visiting our family and will return back home at the end of September. And yes it is a very big decision to pull roots and move to a whole new life.

Hello Rigger
We are planning a move around April 2018. We have twin 10 year olds. My wife is Venezuelan and I am American. She is also now a us citizen . We have visited and decided the brovado are will be a good suit for us. We have looked at the bravodo bilingual school for the kids. We have looked at several places to rent and will be looking at 3 bedroom furnished apartment.  Want to teach kids something beside money that family time is equally important. From what we saw I think we can rent a place $1000 to1300 per month. Does that sound about right.  By way going from your tag we might have been in similar profession. I retired from petroleum business.

Hi I ready! Sounds like we have a lot in common! We just moved to Punta Cana although we have been doing business here for about 5 years. My husband is Venezuelan and I am American. I have two daughter, one 10 and one 8. Will send you a contact request . Are your twins boys, girls? Not sure about the rent cost but sounds about right.

Hello I ready:
Yes we live in Bavaro and is very friendly area with allot of different cultures in the area and do find it very safe here , Yes  there are different private bilingual schools in the area but can not really tell you to much about them as not had any real dealings with the school system in the D.R. As far as the area can tell you we really like this area for now as this is such a big Island and lots of exploring to do here from the North Coast to the South coast and every thing in between. As far as rent you are in the ball park it all depends on what you are looking for as I have heard some rentals going for as little as $900 to $1300 american for 3 bedrooms in a secure complex and not have to worry about the girls at all, or cheaper only not as secure and worrying the whole time, your call.
Yes I worked in a steel mill as a crane mechanic for 36 years and retired and moved to the D.R. and love it so when ever you are in the Punta Cana area send a hello and we can probably get together and help you out with any questions or show you around this part of Paradise No Problem

Got your request and accepted it if I did it right. I have one girl and one boy, a matched set. They look nothing alike.  My wife is from maturin area.

Thanks Rigger. We want the children to experience a different culture but don't want to have to worry about them. I retired from a drilling company. Worked in the engineering department as project manager. Lived in several countries for three to five years each and the older children are pretty much culturally diversified but the twins only know living next door to Mickey and think ever thing is magical and the happiest place on earth. Lol. Am looking for some new images for their little eyes.  Will definitely contact you when we get moved and will problem have a few questions before we move if you don't mind.

Hi.  We are going to explore Punta Cana next month.  We are very excited to start our search for our "paradise". I've been doing a lot of research but can not get a clear understanding of the earthquakes. I keep reading about that the DR experiences multiple earthquakes each year, even some say each month.  Can anyone share their experience regarding frequency and magnitude. Thanks!

Hi I ready:
Yes any questions that I can help you with just ask away and will help any way I can with any questions you may have, and I do not profess to know everything so keep asking on this forum as there are allot of people who have been here longer than myself and are very helpful and knowledgeable in most any questions you may have, as Planner and Bob K are two of the most helpful people on the blog.

Hello MerrittM:
Like I said I have lived in Punta Cana now for about 2 years now and yes every one says we get allot of earth quakes every month or so but to tell you the truth we have never known about them till some one tells me or I read it in the DR news paper, and they can happen any where on earth so I just don't worry about it and would cross that bridge when I have to