Hello out there, My name is Steve and I am considering moving my family to the Philippines.  I have an American wife with 2 daughters. However, My oldest daughter will stay behind to attend the university here in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Now to the nuts and bolts of my inquiry.  My wife and I will have a retirement income of about $4000.00 monthly.  Moreover, By the time I get to the Philippines I will be a year or 2 away from collecting social security. I have observed the exchange rate of the U.S.D. and Philippine peso.  In fact, since I first considered moving to the Philippines the exchanged rate was 48 to 1 Peso.  It is now about 44 to 1.  However, I believe my family can live on half our retirement income and save about $20,000. annually.  Perhaps that will cushion the precarious U.S.D.  Anyhow, I would appreciate anyone's advice in regard to my income and desire to want to live in the Philippines.  I lived in the Philippines briefly when I was stationed on a U.S aircraft carrier in the mid 70's.  I am sure it has changed.  My wife and I retired from the U.S. Navy more than a decade ago.  We currently work for the State of Alaska in Fairbanks.  I think we want to go from the extreme cold to the extreme heat.

Sincerely,
Steve

Hello Steve,

I think you already have one thread which nearly similar to the above one: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69862

Magandang gabi Steve,
   You are definatly thinking of jumping frome the deep freeze into the fire.  I assume you were in Subic Bay and if you haven't been back since the 70's I can tell you the one stark good differance is that the bars are gone.  (althoug a part of me does miss the old life)  You can live well with your income. Since you are from Alaska you will probably find things quite a bit cheeper but from my perspective here in Colorado I would say I can live almost as cheeply here.  Last time I was there two years ago a Doctor visit was $4.00 but medications were as high as they are here. We could buy chicken cheaper here but I don't think PI chickens are fed all the harmones we get to eat here.  Eggs are much better, bug fed chickens. The freeport(old navy base) still has all of the grocherys we get here but as a rule they cost more than they do here.  On the cheeper side fish is a much better deal there but I suppose you get fish a lot cheaper in Alaska.  Good cars may be a couple thousand cheaper but gas runs around $5.00 a gallon.  It cost around $100.00 per month for our electricty (ac was running a lot)  On the other hand My wife is getting along in years and needs to retire.  In the PI we can hire domestic help for less than $150.00 a month and we actually had to send our maid home, she thought she should work long hours.  And Olongapo has good resturants and you can eat american food at 50 to 75% of the cost here.