Africans doing business in Mauritius

I am an african and its my second year living here. i wanted to know if there are other african ladies doing businesses here like going to China or Dubai to buy stuff to sell here? is it possible to do business here. like an informal business

What do you mean exactly by 'informal' business?

To do business here, you need the appropriate permit like an investor/self-employed permit and also an import permit if you are buying in bulk from other countries.

There are regulations and a legal framework in place regarding this type of business/activity.

I mean buying things like clothes and sell to indivuiduals without having to open a shop. i noticed some people use facebook platforms to do business.

WinstonH wrote:

What do you mean exactly by 'informal' business?

To do business here, you need the appropriate permit like an investor/self-employed permit and also an import permit if you are buying in bulk from other countries.

There are regulations and a legal framework in place regarding this type of business/activity.

Hi Winston - you're so helpful to everyone posting on here ! Do you know what sort of import duty would be put on say - bulk cotton clothes from India to sell or perhaps semi-precious stone as raw materials to make jewellery to sell? Would it be worthwhile? Thanks

Hi,

For each of these items, you will need different permits. Regarding duties, I'm not sure...you will have to contact the competent authorities.
That said, retail businesses from clothes to jewelry in Mauritius are highly competitive and the industry already saturated, therefore a thorough market study and innovative business plan are highly recommended.

In reply to to the first post, importing and selling items without a permit is illegal. Authorities usually turn a blind off when it comes to Mauritian citizens, however that's not the case for expats engaging in this type of activity.

Thanx Winston you have been really helpful. bless you

Hi

Thank you for your message. I appreciate your idea of having some business in Mauritius. However, I need to have further details for me to advise you and guide you correctly. I would need to know under which permit (Investor, Professional, self-employed, etc.) you are currently residing in Mauritius. There are various business opportunities in Mauritius (big or small). Please feel free to contact me for any guidance.

Satish

i messaged you Satish

Thanks so much for the reply.

This kind of business is not encouraged from foreigners. It competes directly with local 'small and medium' businesses and in this spirit, you might face some problems if authorities become aware of it. Foreigners are allowed to do business based on specific conditions. Some are flexible but when it hits local people (more so in the small & medium area), it can cause you some damage.

You have defined your business as 'informal' and this is quite risky.

My two pence worth.

Nadeem - I think you absolutely clarified the crux of this matter - nothing usually is encouraged that would compete with local businesses in the small to medium range - which would greatly restrict the ordinary enterprising foreign guy. But does ''not encouraged'' really mean ''not allowed''?

Yes, in my opinion (and from what I see) it is not allowed

Thanks

Hi

I am a seychelloise living in mauritius. I would like to have your contact so that we can discuss the import and export business because I have a ompany in seychelles maybe we can meet. Can you please send me your contact and your email adress.

Thanks.

Alice.

Please fellow expats i want to enquire about ladies wigs,weavon and attachments in Mauritius... How is the business I'm hoping on venturing into the business... Please i need a quick response