Nepal strike advice for Tourists

Can expats tell me why there are so many strikes in Nepal?

You are right to be concerned. The best strike advice I've seen is provided by Travel Resources - read below. Like they say, the majority of these strikes stem from the upcoming constitutional reform. The same reforms that have been going on in Nepal for the past 4 or 5 years now. Problem is that these strikes can be called on very short notice, like the night before. Little warning. No time to prepare.
I think these people have done an excellent job of analyzing the problem. They point out that the worst strikes that affect tourists here are the National ones. "National Bandas" (banda means closed) means that Government Offices are closed, public transport do not run and non-emergency vehicles are not allowed to travel on the roads. Shops, stores, restaurants are all meant to be shut down. If say a shop owner defies the banda and keeps his store open, there can be violence. On several occasions, I've seen fighting break out between him and the organizers. When the situation deteriorates, riots will break out.
For best advice as to what Tourists can do, caught up in those unfortunate times, click on:
www.thelongestwayhome.com/travel-resour … urist.html
This source gives a long and detailed list of things tourists can do to prepare for a nepali strike if you are not going anywhere, things to do and what things not to do, and very importantly, how hotel staff where you are staying will be your KEY source of information. Like they recommend, ask the people of your hotel if it's safe to go out before venturing out. Don't take risks. Play it safe during the length of the strike which like these people say will typically last from 1-2 days and in the worst case scenario, no more than 6-7 days.Regional, fuel strikes student strikes etc may not be as bad, but whichever variety, I think you'll find it is a VERY GOOD GUIDE FOR TOURISTS WHO WANT TO MINIMIZE HOLIDAY DISRUPTION.

Like the old Beatles song, I love Nepal 8 days a week, Sunday through Bundhday.

There are very few strikes nowadays. Back in 2011-15 it was intermittently 'pretty bad.' Now, unless you are down at the Indian border where India keeps the people pretty stirred up it isn't nearly so bad.

I enjoyed the blog post, but I'm happy to say it seemed a bit outdated. I hope it stays that way.

One other way to get to the airport that I've done for my guests is to go for the full ride with them to protect the car, round trip in the car. If there are tourists, preferably light skinned, as long as they are noticeable/visible it should be fine. I've taken many motorcycle rides on bundha days, but that's not good for going to the airport unless it's toward the late afternoon so your driver can get back home.

I love how much freedom the people have in Nepal. One time I saw a very ornate chalk drawing on the street during a bundha and the police was guarding it. Nepal is a free speech zone and the way they choose to demonstrate free speech is through this tradition. Bundha=ability to show grievance to the government. Bundha=Freedom to protest. It's the same in all the South Asia countries, this tradition of bundha.

The police do a great job in Nepal and tourists are seldom bothered for a bribe or anything like that. The police in Nepal have served as the only peace keepers for many years and they are unlike police in the US. If you get stopped by a policeman in the US you WILL get a ticket for something. The officer will keep digging until he finds something to cite you for. Here in Nepal they will help you out and try to keep you out of trouble. But if you are a crazy/bad tourist and do hard drugs, prostitution or get in with a bad crowd, well, they have a special room for you while you get your flight arrangements back to your home country ready. But-as far as I've ever heard-they won't be mean to you in any way.