British debit card in Kuwait...

Hello everyone/Salam to all,

I am romi, 28 yr old female British National - I am new here looking for friends and some help.  I would be visiting Kuwait at the end of March and stay for 9 days. Coming there as I would be moving to Kuwait next year InshAllah to settle and I am dying to see the place.

So far, I have found more information then I expected from the net so I am pleased and thanks to everyone who contributed and guided people like me.

One of my questions is how easily/possible is to use a British debit card in Kuwait? I know maybe credit card can be most widely used in places but like hotels, restaurants etc would they not take debit card? I know there is an HSBC branch by the Sheraton in Kuwait City so can I deduct money from my debit card (british) from there? Please advice me..

My other question is, to avoid embarrassment on the phone with embassy... can i sort out my tourist visa  before coming to Kuwait although I know as British I can get it upon arrival? But I also read that they can decide to refuse without any explanation....??? So maybe I am worrying to much but any advise? Anyone had any bad experience such as visa refused upon arrival? Anyone got it from the embassy here before departure? How long did it take? Shame the links dont work on that website :-(

Thanks to all and sorry for such a long message...

Hi there!

I had no problem using my UK debit card here, but it was a Visa debit card, not a Solo, Switch, Visa Electron or Maestro. Its probably treated just as a credit card. Shops will accept it depending on whether its Visa, Mastercard, etc.

Regarding visas and entry to kuwait I would advise contacting the Kuwaiti embassy in the UK and the UK foreign office. The UK foreign office has a whole section on Kuwait. There is also a site called ukinkuwait which is run by the British embassy in Kuwait.

Hope this helps.

Hi symboliser

Many thanks for your info - yes its a debit visa card that I got so now I am assuming it would not be a problem using it there.

As I already read all the info on the Kuwait Embassy in UK (and in Kuwait) and in fact I was just waiting for tomorrow to give them a call, as you suggested. As reading on the website, I have not visited certain countries so I am hoping it will all be ok if its done only upon arrival.

Any ideas how long it takes in the queue to do this? Any questions they might ask??... is it a matter of minutes or hours??

Your help is much appreciated.

You may have to prepare yourself for a wait at the airport, but its not quite as bad as I've experienced in certain countries. I would say this has a lot to do with timing, i.e. how many other planes arrive with people requiring entry visas at the airport. There is no separate hall or lounge for this, it is simply a table with 2 - 4 people operating at it and about 20 - 30 plastic seats - right next to one of the gates of the airport. It gets very busy around there with flights coming and going. There is a separate person at a desk that carries out "VIP" visa processing and will charge something like KD10 for this (about 22.50 GBP). I wouldn't say it's worth it as you may only be waiting for 15 - 25 minutes in the queue. You will need Kuwaiti currency (cash) to pay for the visa (KD5 or less, from memory).

With regards to questions, I don't recall many questions. As I said, it's not a separate room and you simply stand there for about 3 - 5 minutes while they enter your name into the computer and fill out your paperwork. You literally will spend most of your time waiting your turn (remember to take a number from the machine!).

It isn't that frightening of an experience but I suppose you will need to be prepared in the sense of having some Kuwaiti currency (you can exchange money right across the corridor to the visa desk), knowing where you will be staying and who you may be visiting (which are standard requirements for nearly any country you visit these days). They will probably ask you questions that they could have answered by reading your passport (like "where were you born?").

That's the best I can do based on memory - but some others here may be able to provide you with more details.

Why on earth would you want to come here? Just curious as there are many other places where you can be an expatriate.

Many thanks again symboliser - great info and you gave me a much better picture of what I might find upon arrival. I will certainly be carrying some little cash for the little things ie taxi fares, visa, snacks etc so thats not a problem, as for the other things, which again should all be fine. Its really good to know and get the peace in the mind! Your info just did that!!!

T-DOG - you are not the first person asking me this so I am not surprised with your question - my brother in law been there and asked me the same question and think I am going to do the worst mistake of my life. I really got mixed reviews about Kuwait - some who like it and would never live anywhere else and others think, why Kuwait?

Here is why... although I have never been there (I am sure I would know much more once I go and experience it myself) but I am actually looking to come and live in Kuwait mainly because my father in law has totally sold me on the place - Its certainly got the sun and sea which I love (may be too hot as well...)but trust me living in a city like London you crave sunny quiet less hectic places. Above all, I think its much cheaper than living in the UK, at least I can drive a car whilst in London is hardly affordable to maintain a car even on high wages. At least one can get a fair package, if I am not wrong. I just think life is a bit easier and simpler there which is what I am looking for and Kuwait seems to tick all the boxes!!!

I spent most of my life in Malta as my parents are Maltese and although its got the sun and sea and lots of beaches but its not a place where I would want to live although I know how much is loved by other fellow brits.

Luckily I can speak fluent Italian,(and been also few months in Switzerland) and considered going permanently in Italy but I am not sure if EU is my solution any more although I do miss it...

I also been to Dubai for few days, didn't see much there and felt a bit too confusing for me - too much was going on that time (around 4 yrs ago) and my twin sister lived for some years there and said things has changed dramatically...

So... anyway, so now you can see why I am dying to see this gorgeous country but I actually feel your experience is not a great one... would you like to share? Sounded like you do not recommend it...any particular reason?

I would be grateful if you can share so we all learn although everyone have can have an opinion and I am very open minded.  I am sure there are things that I will like and other things which it will be hard to adjust but hence my visit trip at the end of March... I wouldn't know from here unless I taste the real experience.

Many thanks for reading and sorry again... its tooo long..... :-(

life in Kuwait is boring if u dont have any good friends thats what i have experienced living 15 years in Kuwait.the weather here is mostly dry weather and hot in summer,goes upto 50 degrees,rite now weather is pretty good.

romiuk wrote:

T-DOG - you are not the first person asking me this so I am not surprised with your question - my brother in law been there and asked me the same question and think I am going to do the worst mistake of my life. I really got mixed reviews about Kuwait - some who like it and would never live anywhere else and others think, why Kuwait?

Here is why... although I have never been there (I am sure I would know much more once I go and experience it myself) but I am actually looking to come and live in Kuwait mainly because my father in law has totally sold me on the place - Its certainly got the sun and sea which I love (may be too hot as well...)but trust me living in a city like London you crave sunny quiet less hectic places. Above all, I think its much cheaper than living in the UK, at least I can drive a car whilst in London is hardly affordable to maintain a car even on high wages. At least one can get a fair package, if I am not wrong. I just think life is a bit easier and simpler there which is what I am looking for and Kuwait seems to tick all the boxes!!!

I spent most of my life in Malta as my parents are Maltese and although its got the sun and sea and lots of beaches but its not a place where I would want to live although I know how much is loved by other fellow brits.

Luckily I can speak fluent Italian,(and been also few months in Switzerland) and considered going permanently in Italy but I am not sure if EU is my solution any more although I do miss it...

I also been to Dubai for few days, didn't see much there and felt a bit too confusing for me - too much was going on that time (around 4 yrs ago) and my twin sister lived for some years there and said things has changed dramatically...

So... anyway, so now you can see why I am dying to see this gorgeous country but I actually feel your experience is not a great one... would you like to share? Sounded like you do not recommend it...any particular reason?

I would be grateful if you can share so we all learn although everyone have can have an opinion and I am very open minded.  I am sure there are things that I will like and other things which it will be hard to adjust but hence my visit trip at the end of March... I wouldn't know from here unless I taste the real experience.

Many thanks for reading and sorry again... its tooo long..... :-(

I have lived in other countries and I can relate somewhat to you wanting to live a slower paced life but I honestly dont think Kuwait is your answer. However it really depends on how you deal with things as a person. If you are the type that can ignore or learn to adapt to things you would otherwise find unacceptable then its possible you may enjoy it here.

Being a single woman coming here will however be especially difficult for you unless you can stay with your family and they stay in a quiet/nice area. But you will still find men here constantly bothering you if you are even showing a little bit of skin. You will find the driving here extremely stressful and often times dangerous. Being a man here is alot easier than being a woman.

That being said kuwait can be alot safer that other places, espically like london, I mean people leave their keys in the car while running while they go inside a grocery shop many times!

It looks like you are dead set on coming for a visit anyways, which is a good idea, bear in mind though visiting a place for a week will not let you get a whole picture of what it will be like to live here. If there already some things you cannot stand I advise you not coming here at all.

Otherwise if you are getting a very good salary package and a contract for 1-2 years I suggest you can give it a try. Making friends here and keeping yourself busy (i.e. gyms, spas, eating out) are what make life most enjoyable in the end.

Finally if it doesnt work out I suggest if you want somewhere nice to live where life is alot slower, I suggest Australia. Good luck to you miss.

Hi again

T-Dog thanks for honest opinions - I am really open to everything and so pleased to hear mixed reviews in a way.

I certainly agree with you of going there for a trip is not the same as staying there and that was actually a good point!

I shall definetely keep you informed of my trip and my review about it.

Hope by me being simple, not expecting fancy things, just a bit of quiet time, less hectic lifestyle, maybe a stroll by the beach, nice places to eat and and just some sightseeing would do for now. I think the life I live here is quite boring and controlling and too much serious. I am not expecting better there but certainly I am expecting it to be VERY different. But anyway, I am different and strange at times so it might do for me or it might be too much.

I really cant wait to experience some of it....

Thanks to all for your comments

No problem romi. And if you need someone to show you around just let me know. Don't worry I am married haha. I just think since I am half brit myself it would be interesting showing you some places here.

All the best.

Thanks T-Dog that is very kind of you. I will surely let you know but hopefully I will find my way there....i love an adventure!!

Interesting post...:cool:

Forgive my curiosity, but I'm assuming you'll also be looking around for a job, right? I didn't see this in the response... It would be helpfull during your visit to be aware of any formalities needed once you'd made up your mind. It's like with any other country a competitive job-market. Or is this just a temporarily (long) visit?

Good luck adventurer!

Hi bhaas

Thanks for your post and sorry for my late reply - been very busy..

I will surely check things further on my trip in regards to jobs. I am sure the job-market is competitive as anywhere else but as i always think.... when there is a will there is a way...

how long will be ur trip.

romiuk in your case , you will save more money in kuwait.

Thanks Moo - thats what I initially thought after few reviews and glad to keep knowing this.

Ace - my trip will only be for about 9 days.

Anyone can advise me if it helps having a sponsor letter or hotel reservation for the visa upon arrival? Does it makes things quicker or easier at d airport?

Many thanks

Yes, you will need to provide a local address and phone number in Kuwait upon arrival. Hotel details will be helpful.

Moo - you are right on saving money, and I guess that's applicable for most of us here!

i dont think u will need any,just a contact number and local address,my aunt came to Kuwait from USA  she was on transit,she got visit visa on immigration itself,it was easy and quick.

hello romiuk i m abd el rahman egyption live at kuwait and want to be freinds :)

Thanks ACE its a relief to knw tht it ws easy bt i will still be prepared for anything... I assume its going to be ok bt just being extra prepared is safer.Cant wait!!

ur welcome,if u want to ask anything, feel free to ask.