Planning on Retiring in Belize

Hello everyone,
My name is Patrick and am new to this forum.  I am a 48yr old employed (law-enforcement)  male currently living in the US (Ohio), I recently visited Belize (Ambergris Caye, July '17) and loved it, it helped narrow my retirement search down to two places that I would very much like to move to (Belize, Ambergris and Dominican Republic, Punta Cana), any further information on Belize would be greatly appreciated and hope to meet new friends on this forum.
Best wishes to all

Hello and welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information on this site and you may need to read previous threads/topics to get a better idea of the type of information you are looking for. There are a multitude of opinions here, as you might anticipate on a  site like this. If you are considering relocating here, visit as much as you possibly can before you make any decision - Belize is not for everyone. Ambegris is more of a tourist destination than most of the rest of the country, and is not necessarily typical of the majority of Belize. Due your due diligence, and good luck in your quest.

Karenjo,
   Thank you very much for suggestions and information I definitely will look up other threads and do my homework 🤓 ... I've been to Ambergris and really enjoyed it there ... definitely will be coming back within the year

Karenjo,
   Thank you very much for suggestions and information I definitely will look up other threads and do my homework 🤓 ... I've been to Ambergris and really enjoyed it there ... definitely will be coming back within the year

Patrick, I'm from OH, actually am president of the OSU club in Jacksonville FL now. What is your opinion of the areas you visited for us younger folks (I'm 37)? Have you seen any programs for younger people to get visa / benefits that are typically for older individuals? Panama seems to have great benefits but I don't have a pension that qualifies but I have resources... That is frustrating to me!

There are many benefits to retirees, so wait awhile.  Maybe you would be more content with countries that appreciate youthful persons.  We seniors like to appreciate what time we have left, at least I do.  Frustration only leads to health problems (trust me I'm a nurse).

Hello Jsherm007,
All good questions, unfortunately I don't have any answers for you right this moment as this is a new endeavor for me ...aside from my  tour with the Marine Corp I've been land locked here in Ohio at my current job.  I've vacationed in Mexico (Cancun/Cozemel) and the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) mostly, but the place I did visit and stay in Belize was Ambergris Caye and I absolutely loved it.  Hopefully as I further research for my move there I'll be able to provide you with more answers and information in the near future.

What part of Ohio are you in I am in Ohio as well.

Im not big on legalaties. Im a combat veteran whos closest friend were Marines. Im with afvclub.com/legion. I just booked in cozumal and Ark/USA. You can join free as a legionaire with American Legion. Saves thousands. My patients and musician bros like belize. Goin myself soon. Regards, Rick

Hello Belizein2020
Northwest Ohio ...Toledo to be exact.  How about you ?

Hello Rick,
Thanks for the information I'll definitely be checking into that ... loved the Marine Corp but unfortunately after I was injured (late 80's/knee) ...they rehabed me and gave me my final marching papers.  Cozumel is nice ... I've gone from liking Mexico to loving the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) to absolutely loving Belize (Ambergris Caye) ...D/R and Belize were my two final choices for my retirement ...
Hope you enjoy Cozumel
Best regards
Pat

If you go online to afvclub.com we have places in d/r. I like costa rica. I was wounded and lost my career in 90s after years of study and work but belize has been a haven for us vets long as I can remember. My bones dont ring like the liberty bell. Hope we meet up one day w/o court attachments. I use too much booze but not humans. Especially bros. Rick