Living in North Carolina

You are an expatriate living in North Carolina, or you used to  work and live in North Carolina.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in North Carolina?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in North Carolina?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in North Carolina?

Thanks in advance for your participation

NYker needs help !!! considering a move to NC - Apex or cary. Any advise, info etc... I have 4 young children and I want good schools.

good place for kids. Not bad for work. School system in cary ok.

I live in WNC (Western North Carolina) in the Asheville area. It's a good place if you love the outdoors and a fun town: great restaurants, good choice of food with local supermarkets such as Earth Fare and Greenlife.

The cost of life however is pretty high compare to the average wages.
The town is very touristic so there are a lot of job opportunities in that field. At least I didn't have a problem finding one before the recession hit.

There are a lot of meeting groups around here. A good way to meet other is to hang out in local's spots like Jack of the Wood or Westville Pub. Join activity groups (hiking, climbing, etc).

You need your car to get anywhere though, public transportation is limited in town. Visit first and see if the town fits you.

Charlotte is one of my favorite cities.  It's urban, suburban & country all in one...depending on which part of Charlotte you live in.  The downtown area is relatively small, but it is clean and has several good restaurants, lounges, clubs, cafes, etc.  Charlotte (and the Research Triangle Park area) has the highest concentratin of PhDs in the US.  People are generally friendly, in that southern hospitality kind of way.  It is a little difficult to get work there right now, but Charlotte is a nice place to live.  Very affordable homes!  Nice weather - cold in the winter, but rarely much snow.  Lake Norman is a great place for summer sports - boating, jet skiing, etc.

Life in North Carolina is great. For the most part, you will find the people friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. There are a lot of things to do and see in the state.

I have lived in Durham NC for over twenty years now and have seen huge changes, mostly for the better. There is a great selection of restaurants of all prices and nationalities, the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC), Carolina theatre, lots of college sports, and a very vibrant downtown with lots of renovation. It only takes a few minutes to get to the beautiful Eno park which feels as if you are miles away from the city. Public transport is improving and there is train service to NY and Charlotte. While the education system is not perfect, my two children had overall good experiences.