520 k per year enough salary in Joberg...? Advice please :)

Hello,

I am hoping for some advice as some of the threads are a little dated so not sure if the cost of living has changed...

I have been offered a position with a yearly salary 520k zar in Joberg...after tax I work out this is aprox 31k take home per month? I will be coming alone.

Can somebody please advise if these figures of my fixed costs are roughly correct...

Two bedroom apartment in fouways area furnished: 9,000
Utilities per month: 1,000
Car per month: 5,000
Insurance and Petrol: 2,000
Total 17,000

(I have health cover in my package)

Remaining money for myself aproximately 14,000 per month. Is this enough to live a comfortable and fun life? During the weekdays I will cook at home but during the weekend I will like to eat out and have a drink etc. Dress reasonably well (not fancy designers) Also have enough money for weekends away to visit different parts of Africa.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi,

You have almost worked it out precisely.  You should be able to get a nice, secure 1 bedroom apartment in a secure complex for R 9000,00.

However, as some complexes include water, and others exclude water and effluent charges, you may be looking at closer to around R 1500,00 a month.

Your allowance for car repayments is fair. Insurance and petrol may need another R 1000, 00 bringing that to a total of R 3000,00, depending on travel and what premiums your insurance charges you based on car theft risk, the security and area of your residence, and what you need the car for.

A reasonable budget for your own food, toiletries and groceries is probably in the region of R 2500,00 a month. Naturally if you really want to Live extravagantly, and eat out a lot, it will be more.

A Batchelor can make ends meet in a good upper-middle class area on around R 20,000.00. Your salary is allows for some fun over and above that. Beware the braaivleis (barbeque) as it has hidden costs, especially f you are catering for everyone else. Alcohol and meat! :)

It is possible, but it will not be a luxurious life. Taking the job to experience Africa is definitely worth doing though.