Bansko as family destination all year round

Hi all

ChrisGer  here, I am a newbie on this site.

I am married with two girls and own a property in bansko.

We are looking into furnishing this property and spending time in Bansko as well as later seeing
more of the country.

In years to come with retirement, we are hoping to spend more long term time there.

At present, our main area of concern is furnishing as well as some slight building work as we are looking into reconfiguring the property internally.

The main concern for us is how family friendly and safe Bansko is and other areas around Bansko.  Also, the Alpha Spa in Dobrinishte, is it good for children and in easy reach of Bansko.

I have heard some negative things online about how the bulgarian people are cold and rude to foreigners,  I really hope this is not true especially as I have two children also.

I am quite willing to make an effort to speak the language as I am interested in languages and culture and I would like to expose the children to a new culture.

I have found at home that people in more rural areas can be particularly friendly in comparison to big city dwellers, I am hoping that this is the case for Bansko.

We have only visited Bulgaria once without children and did not have time to find out what the country was really like.  Why then did you purchase a property in the country I hear you ask ?
Well, my wife had bought the property before we got married many years ago as an investment, then the crash came and you know the rest.

As we now have two children, we have decided to look on the property as more of a lifestyle choice than an investment.  As we have not ventured abroad with the children yet, we are a bit nervous especially when we hear negative comments about the friendliness of the people. 

I apologise in advance to any bulgarian people that are reading this thread, I assume that this is an incorrect generalisation as as there are friendly and not so friendly people in every country.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

ChrisG

Chris-

I've found Bulgarian people to be quite friendly--- especially having two kids here, it is a great way to meet other parents/families. For me it can be difficult to meet new Bulgarians in a deep/meaningful way because a lot of Bulgarians do tend to stick to their own social circles (whereas in the US I could just go to a running club or yoga class and go out with new people for beers after, here it is not that way often). Saying that- there are a LOT of Bulgarians who love to meet foreign people--- love practicing their English or exchanging cultural stories. Also--- many Bulgarians love inviting people over for long "na gosti" visits, usually involving a meal and several hours of drinking wine/rakia. When I go over to my Bulgarian friends homes, I plan for at least 3-4 hours each meal.

I think it really, really depends on your attitude. Of course, there will be times when you feel lonely/isolated and you may think Bulgarian people are cold, but for the most part they have been enthusiastic and warm towards me.

As a story- I was training for a marathon my first year in Bulgaria- I would go running in the fields beyond my village. On the way back into town, I had not one but three different babas stop me to tell me to take a break, drink some water from their outdoor faucet, and then give me vegetables from their garden. These were people I had never even met until that day. After the first day, they would wave and say hello, and sometimes offer me a tomato to take home with me.

Hi Kojidae,

It was very reassuring after reading your message.

Your jogging story is amazing.
You'd better bring a spare bag for the vegetables for your next jog, what a wonderful gesture.

Enjoy the summer in bulgaria,

Kind regards

Chris