Close

Wishing I brought THIS and left behind THAT!

So if you could do it again...
What would you bring from home that you really can't replace in Portugal and what would you have rather left behind.  Spouses don't count haha 😂.  So yes that was a joke.  I will bring my sweetie but should I also bring computers, art work, beautiful area rugs, big screen tv, linens and towels? Small family heirlooms?  Maybe even some smaller pieces of furniture.  What other products or items
might be on a list of what you miss? Thanks!

"What other products or items might be on a list of what you miss?".

If you miss all this then why leave home in the first place?

Well that's so helpful of you to ask!  I still want a new adventure.  I've never moved internationally and am trying to plan what makes most sense financially.  Just because I love to travel doesn't mean I don't get homesick.  I guess that's why there are things called moving companies. Do you have something you miss?

If you want a new adventure, try backpacking.  That way, if you get homesick you can always fly back home to all the stuff you love and left behind. If you decide to move permanently then hire a moving company to bring all the stuff you can't do without. And once it gets delivered, decide on what you want to keep and you can get rid of the rest.
Yes, I miss a few things like events, happenings, occasions etc. but I never miss the material stuff. If I miss the material stuff now, I will miss it even more when I leave this world. And as you know our souls will only take their memories with them, not the material stuff and no moving company can help with that.

Wow, you are such a deep and spiritual person and I'm just shallow and materialistic.  You probably went to Portugal naked and just sleep on the floor.  You couldn't wait a day to get all snarky when someone is just trying to find their way.  I will make my own choices.  I was asking how others handled their move.  Your views on the afterlife aren't helpful to me.  So your not materialistic, your just self centered.  You must have a lonely life.  Your soul is rough around the edges.  You may want to work on that.

Hi there, if I may interrupt... actually I'm in the middle of my moving and I could do with a little advice from some expat on what to leave behind and what must be on the packing list.  Thanks.

I personally only brought my sentimental stuff AFTER I established a stable life here. Until then they stayed with my family. Other than that in 5 years I pretty much arranged/bought everything local, never had any problems.

Expatriate health insurance in Portugal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Portugal

Moving to Portugal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Portugal

Travel insurance in Portugal

Enjoy stress-free travel to Portugal