Close

Cell phones or cell service providers

Hello!

I am moving to Riga next week from Canada. In Canada there is a terrible monopoly on all things cell-phone related. I hear that Europe is better, much, much better. But I don't want to get lured into the first company I visit because it seems so much better than anything here.

So here is my question(s):
- Should I buy a cell phone in Germany on my way in and only get a SIM card or is it better to get a cell phone plan and a cell phone together?
- What are the best companies? What type of plans should I look for? I would like a plan that allows for travel across Europe if possible
- And ... my parents are a little older and I while I am hoping to get them comfortable with Sykpe, I do see future phone calls. Any recommendations on plans or should I instead be exploring the phone-card route, if so - what are your recommendations.

I am very excited about the move ... and probably have so many questions. But all in time.
Thanks

My US phone worked in Russia after I put in a Russian SIM card, and then when I visited Switzerland, I did the  same thing. I took my iphone to a Swiss phone company and for $10, they put in a Swiss SIM card and it worked fine the whole time I was in Switzerland. I am now headed to Latvia with the same iphone to see what happens.

Expatriate health insurance in Latvia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Latvia

Moving to Latvia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Latvia

Travel insurance in Latvia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Latvia