Police Check Certificate information

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Belo Horinztonte in August on a tourist visa with the aim of starting the Stable Union process within the 180 days that I'm there.

I live in London, so in order to get an unabridged birth certificate (from South Africa, where I was born), I've had to request this from the SA consulate in London. The lead time for an unabridged, apostilled certificate is six months!! I applied for this in May, so do not expect it to be delivered back to London until November. I'll then get a family member to post it via secured international delivery to myself in Brazil.

This gives me about 2/3 months (Nov - Jan) to apply for the Stable Union at the Cartorio, and then start the permanency application at the Federal Police. However, another important document I'll need is a police check, which also needs to be apostilled. I could do this once my birth certificate arrives in the UK, but I'd like to do this earlier, as this can take up to 20 working days to process and I'd rather not waste any more time than is needed.

My question is if I get my police certificate now, apostilled, and then translated when I get to Brazil, will this be questioned  by the Federal Police as it might be over three months old by then? I've heard conflicting reports, because documents were apostilled by the Brazilian consulate previously and it's now done under the Hague convention with the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Another query for anyone who has gone the Stable Union route, is that once I start the application with the Federal Police, what visa am I technically on? Is the tourist visa extended while the application for permanency is in progress?

I've checked the Federal Police website and was unable to find information regarding this.

Thanks,

Nick

It may or may not be questioned as being too old. I'd try to wait as long as possible to avoid that. Once you apply for permanency you will be given a protocol which will then be your official visa status until the CIE arrives.

Jim

nickward84 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Belo Horinztonte in August on a tourist visa with the aim of starting the Stable Union process within the 180 days that I'm there.

I live in London, so in order to get an unabridged birth certificate (from South Africa, where I was born), I've had to request this from the SA consulate in London. The lead time for an unabridged, apostilled certificate is six months!! I applied for this in May, so do not expect it to be delivered back to London until November. I'll then get a family member to post it via secured international delivery to myself in Brazil.

This gives me about 2/3 months (Nov - Jan) to apply for the Stable Union at the Cartorio, and then start the permanency application at the Federal Police. However, another important document I'll need is a police check, which also needs to be apostilled. I could do this once my birth certificate arrives in the UK, but I'd like to do this earlier, as this can take up to 20 working days to process and I'd rather not waste any more time than is needed.

My question is if I get my police certificate now, apostilled, and then translated when I get to Brazil, will this be questioned  by the Federal Police as it might be over three months old by then? I've heard conflicting reports, because documents were apostilled by the Brazilian consulate previously and it's now done under the Hague convention with the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Another query for anyone who has gone the Stable Union route, is that once I start the application with the Federal Police, what visa am I technically on? Is the tourist visa extended while the application for permanency is in progress?

I've checked the Federal Police website and was unable to find information regarding this.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi there if ther sperson your entering in to  the Stable Union with is Brazilian, then you might not need the Police check, i know being married to barzilian i did not need the check, just a letter from my wife

Haha, this 'it may or may not be' seems to be a comman theme in Brazil.

I am flying on a one way ticket and this was quoted when I asked if I'll need proof of onward journey! :):)

I'll leave it to the last possible moment, maybe even a few weeks after I arrive when I suspect the birth certificate will come through. I don't want to risk not having one at all because marriage I believe, is a total different ball game to Stable Union.

Nick

nickward84 wrote:

Haha, this 'it may or may not be' seems to be a comman theme in Brazil.

I am flying on a one way ticket and this was quoted when I asked if I'll need proof of onward journey! :):)

I'll leave it to the last possible moment, maybe even a few weeks after I arrive when I suspect the birth certificate will come through. I don't want to risk not having one at all because marriage I believe, is a total different ball game to Stable Union.

Nick

you maybe right, but i do know someone with tell you if it is or is not,,,,,,,,,,, plenty of people has spoken on this site about stable Union ,,, someone will know

Nickeard84

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/estran … ao-estavel

If you translate this you will have the requirements. I am currently on my phone and unable to translate it. What it says about the police report for Stable Union you have to have it from your country.  For marriage you only need a declaration which was provided to me by PF.

Jim

jland912 wrote:

Nickeard84

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/estran … ao-estavel

If you translate this you will have the requirements. I am currently on my phone and unable to translate it. What it says about the police report for Stable Union you have to have it from your country.  For marriage you only need a declaration which was provided to me by PF.

Jim

Well done that man, i told you someone would know
we have lots of clever, all seeing eye's on this site
and also. One's that talk "crap", like me

Down the worker's

ah young grass hopper.....you have much to learn.

Here use www.docassist.co.za, Janine there my police clearance and apostille in pretoria and mailed it back to Brazil for a very reasonable price......took about two or three weeks.
They know exactly how to do the apostille, it must be done by the same country that issued the document. these agencies deal with this everyday and know how to grease a few palms to get yours to the top of the pile. I think it was like R1500-00 or something
The police clearance  must be valid within 3 months

Hold on, now I'm getting more confused. The police check I was going to get was from the UK, because I currently reside here and I'm going to be travelling on my UK passport. I don't need to have a South African police check as well do I?

Thanks for the site though, I'm going to get a quote for the expedition of my birth certificate.

Nick

Oh okay I see, yes according to the website that seems correct, you don't need to worry about the SA one unless you have been living there recently.

You may not even need one anymore as I know you don't for permanent residency, just a sworn statement, but I did need it for citizenship...can your girlfriend call the Policia federal and ask them?

nickward84 wrote:

Hold on, now I'm getting more confused. The police check I was going to get was from the UK, because I currently reside here and I'm going to be travelling on my UK passport. I don't need to have a South African police check as well do I?

Thanks for the site though, I'm going to get a quote for the expedition of my birth certificate.

Nick

The Brittish Police check only go's back 10 years,, i would say if you have, been in the UK more than 10 years, you might have to get the one from SA

I think they are only interested in the last 5 years in Brazil

I think the requirements vary from place to place. I'm a foreigner and I married a Brazilian woman earlier this year. I was required to have both a certificate of no criminal record from the USA and a certificate of no criminal record in Brazil from the Policia Federal. Additionally, my wife was also required to have a certificate of no criminal record in Brazil. So, I think it's best to check with the cartorio where you plan to have your civil union or marriage to be sure of exactly what you will need.