Employment for Non-Nepali Citizens

With no pretense of being an expert in this field - I leave that to others - I would nevertheless strongly suggest that any foreigner who is thinking to come to Nepal with the intention of getting a job might be well advised to, first, read the full article written in late 2016 by someone who is qualified, a nepalese Advocate. This person sums it up very well in his write-up, headed:
"Employment of Non-Nepali Citizens in Nepal is Exceptional and Not the General Rule"
For details, click on:     
www.nepalipatra.com/news/trend/employme … nepal/8203
To be clear, non-nepalese/foreign nationals are required to obtain a work permit, officially called a "Working VISA" under the Labor Law 1992 BEFORE they can engage in any kind of work or employment in Nepal for or with any local employer in this country.
One can also read - applicants please note - that under the Labor Act 1992, "the local employer is required to facilitate your obtaining it". Furthermore, it is stipulated that this work visa/permit in Nepal is "employer specific". From this, read that you can't work in Nepal if you are here on a Tourist Visa and if people do, they are against the law and applicable/current regulations.
According to the latest available information published on the net, and therefore subject to verification, it would seem there are only some 2709 new work permits granted and in circulation for all of Nepal, with the majority in the construction sector, and that total includes the service sector (about 700). Manufacturing is a poor third position.
Turning to salaries: here in Nepal - if and assuming one gets the job - the salaried/employed person should be prepared in most cases to accept nepali scale wages which will be lower than what they would be in his/her home country, for the same comparable job and occupation. 
My personal advice and view of things:
1. To fare better than average, say with housing perks, insurance protection, paid in dollars, etc., first preference must go to trying to be sponsored by an NGO or INGO in Nepal. Next, try applying to an international company, in preference to working for a strictly local, nepali based employee.
2. Don't wait to arrive in Nepal to start looking for a job here. Start before. Start now, from your home country. Put all the chances on your side.
3. To do that, prepare a good CV or Bio-data and send your job application to as many companies as you will have determined have ties, connections, or activities here in Nepal, and in the field that you want to work in, given the qualifications or experience you have. 
4. If you have never lived in Asia, never set foot in Nepal, don't just listen to what the "other" is saying (or claiming) go there for a first visit to discover Nepal for yourself, for say 1-3 months. As a result, you will be in a far better position to judge and decide if you would to come back to work and live there on a more permanent basis, or not? Who knows, if the job you had in mind is city of Kathmandu based, you may not like it there due to air and noise pollution?...and in that case, you can decide the place is not for you. I've seen foreigner people coughing badly after only a few days after their arrival, and totally unable to live in the capital, one of the most polluted on the planet. Visit and get acquainted with the country first is my advice. See how you like it and how your body responds? If you future job is outside Kathmandu, that might be better for your health.
5. It goes without saying that everything you do, you should do in complete legality. Need I add, NO work on your first visit if you go there on a tourist visa.
6. The best advice I can give is get the support, as I said before, of a good "sponsor organization" (whichever employer it is going to be) to assist you with the nepalese formalities, the procedural matters and filings, the obtention of that all-important "working visa", the help of a lawyer or counsel as may well be required.  If you can get the employer to do all that, save you time. Get them to foot the bill too..Any under the table stuff? - if there is, let the employer deal with that, so you are not involved. Stay clear of trouble or problems. Take a step back. Remember it's Asia. Besides, chances are that you will not be able to read either the fine print nor understand the nepali language, so that is another good reason for you to take "one step back". Let these other guys do it!
Nepal needs you, but you need a good job! And last but not least by way of advice:

"SECURE THE JOB FIRST, RELOCATE AFTER"

I will finish with a joke! In Nepal, whenever you hear a nepali person say  "No Problem"....IF you hear those two words, you can be SURE there is one...!!!

A very good article. Very true...
Thank you for posting this!