Moving to Pushkin

Hi,

I will be starting a job teaching English in Pushkin ( about 50 min outside of St. Petersburg) in about a month. I have lived in the city of St. Petersburg before for study abroad and loved it there, but do not have much experience with more rural/town-y parts of Russia. Looking for advice on what to pack, what to buy there, and most of all how to survive the winter! I am from a California coastal town so definitely not looking forward to that...but on the upside I will get to see snow!

You need to get Russian winter clothes . This is the only way . Rural areas are so nice . People are nice . But night is so calm . For one month won't be boring .

Take care

Hi victoriamhendersen

I do not / have not lived in Pushkin but i did visit there in 2015.  I presume since you have been to St. P. you have experienced winter in Northern Russia?  Very little sun light and extreme cold.  Extreme!  I loved how the sun would come up just above the horizon around 10 and go back down after 2 or so - and the ski was a bright pink - so beautiful!   Catherine's palace is extravagant to no end as well there!

You should take what you can from the states for cold weather gear but you can buy anything you forget to bring for winter right there - no problem as you are really just on the outskirts off the Autobon of St. P. and with Catherine's and Alexander's palaces, there are tons of touristy things and shops.

Enjoy! :)
KrutaKlass