Here is my story.

Hey guys!
I am moving to Riga, Latvia and have to say this is quite the change for me. I lived in Tokyo for 4 years teaching English, loved the atmosphere, the hustle and bustle of it all.
I was offered a job in Moscow but the complexity of the visa process was A/Tedious and B/Scary! I am looking to move to Latvia but as a Brit worry I may feel alone and lonely! :( How much of a western community is there? Is there a set place where most go?

My thoughts dont do it, Go home to England as I want to do.Latvians are funny as they half understand jokes but have no humour and in may case have ended badly. For instance said when power went of, as it does, Oh! no one paid the bill. Up and thumped me before I could laugh. In my own house too. They are animals. I have built a house but not a home , be it on your own head. Jobs not exist 300 is a good monthly wage outside of Riga and rents higher than UK. I loved it here at first then you come to see we do not belong.Its White Africa and even biblical .See the donkey roads and pay out for your buggered car springs daily. If in Riga you need a fortune to exist. Rates on housing equals London prices. Rural only 50 eruo at most per year but your on wells that dry out when sunshine is here no shower no washing water .It is a challenge I wish I had not come to. Six years of hell building as Latvians are slow to stop and all drink Vodka like Russians. Maybe you got me on wrong day and if tomorrow I will feel better but truth I have told you

I agree partially with what Naesby is saying....Latvian humour really isn't all that sophisticated compared to British humour and people are a little more serious/sensible, almost robotic. But then saying that I had a cracking night out at the weekend at some local bar with some of the younger lads. I quite like not knowing anybody to be honest, it can be nice and peaceful BUT when I need some company I'll usually just head out on my own (or after a date) and 9 times out of 10 bump into people who are up for a good drink and a Laugh.

Most ex pats hang about the Kiwi bar in the centre of Riga....I've yet to go but I've heard it's packed with pats

I hope that helps....I'm in Jelgava myself and love it 👍

If you are Joe from the army days now on motorbike loving I also ex army. I live out in the sticks but we met in Limbaji DIY place not long since. If not you sorry. I too like peace and in my 2 acres landscaped garden still have a hoard of invaders called next doors kids to cope with daily , hourly in fact. Retired and built the house, designed and made the gardens and still cutting into fields of cow pasture creating acres more. Latvian appreciate nothing. Keep on my own but do have many British pals around here and down near Riga.