South African Looking for Advertising Job

Hi everyone,

My name is Kyle and I am from Cape Town, South Africa. I work as a brand strategist in advertising and I am looking to make a move over to Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi. I have three years of experience working within an agency environment and have worked across digital, experiential and traditional mediums.

I am looking for a new adventure and I really think living in Vietnam could be the taste of the world I need! I am looking to stay within my professional line of work and so am looking for a job.

If anyone has any connections or job opportunities they know about and could help me with, that would be really fantastic. I would appreciate any help whatsoever in getting over there.

Thanks very much and have a great day :)

This site seems to be attracting more queries along this line.  More than one asked about jobs in HR.  What these queries have in common is an unrealistic view of how the OP could function in their occupation without speaking Vietnamese.

Kyle Meeser wrote:

My name is Kyle and I am from Cape Town, South Africa. I work as a brand strategist in advertising and I am looking to make a move over to Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi. I have three years of experience working within an agency environment and have worked across digital, experiential and traditional mediums.

Let me ask you Kyle, what language your brands advertise in in SA.  Granted, it may be more than one.  However, what language do you think a brand strategist would need in VN?

A friend of mine in advertising once told me that the industry was divided between the "creatives" and the "suits."  It sounds like you may be a "suit."  If I am incorrect and you are a "creative" you might have better prospects in VN than as a "suit," as the artistic quality of advertising, TV in particular, is frankly quite terrible and reminds me of the 60's TV in the US.  Vietnamese TV ads still shout at the consumer, a technique that has largely been dropped in the West.  The exception there may be locally produced used car and furniture sales but they are the butt of late night humor.

There seem to be areas outside of teaching where foreigners can do well in Vietnam.  They tend to be technical as in IT, oil exploration and refining, or even ethnic as head chefs for European restaurants.  Jobs that focus on communication skills such as advertising or HR would seem to fall in the other direction.