If I study in the New Bulgarian Universty

Hello, I am potentially joining the New Bulgarian University at Sofia..
I am currently in Sofia as a tourist until September.. but I am planning to join the Music course for 4 years in Bulgaria.. I wanted to know if it's possible for me to travel across EU freely with the VISA D type that I recieve for residency permit in Bulgaria?
like can I go to concerts in Berlin or Amsterdam or whatever? or just visit some friends acrosss in the UK?
Thank you, looking forward to your responses! =)

Bulgaria is still a candidate for schengen, so a resident permit in Bulgaria does not allow visa-free travel to Europe- whether you need a visa will depend on where your passport is from.

kojidae wrote:

Bulgaria is still a candidate for schengen, so a resident permit in Bulgaria does not allow visa-free travel to Europe- whether you need a visa will depend on where your passport is from.

My passport is Indian, what do you think now?

Thanks for the reply btw :)

I think you will need a Schengen Visa.
Info here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com

This would allow you to travel for up to 90 days

Hope that helps :-)

Hi,
A Bulgarian visa is only valid for Bulgaria. It may ease you in getting a tourist visa for Romania, maybe for Schengen, but you still have to do all the procedures.

Alpheratz wrote:

Hi,
A Bulgarian visa is only valid for Bulgaria. It may ease you in getting a tourist visa for Romania, maybe for Schengen, but you still have to do all the procedures.

A long term residence permit or visa for Bulgaria IS valid in Romania also.  Please be certain before you give out information.

Holders of Schengen visas with two or multiple entries, national visas or residence permits issued by Schengen Member States. Starting July 11, 2014, in keeping with the provisions of Decision No 565/2014/EU, Romania acknowledges as being equivalent to its own national visas, for transit and for stays up to 90 days per period of 180 days the following:
The two or multiple entry short-stay visa issued by a Schengen member state;
The limited territorial validity visa issued by a Schengen member state;
The short-stay visa issued by Bulgaria, Cyprus or Croatia;
The long-stay visa issued by a Schengen member state;
The long-stay visa issued by Bulgaria, Cyprus or Croatia;
The residence permit issued by a Schengen member state;
The residence permit issued by Bulgaria, Cyprus or Croatia
The long-term resident's EC residence permit (the validity of which is of 5 years or more) issued by a member state of the European Union.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks for the info, Ro.
I have no way of knowing everything but good to know this :)
My knowledge is based on people with BG visa applying for RO, Schengen tourist visas (they got Romanian visa immediately, Schengen visa never). They had no residence in BG. Their nationality was South African.