Close

Retiring in Turkey

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Turkey? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Turkey (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Turkey's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Turkey?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Health care doesn't cover everything. and I was speaking to one friend today she said dental care is very up high in the sky and they charge with euro.life is clean and disciplined.Health care plans for those retiring here on tourist visa must be improved and cover all conditions even dental.
Also one of my daughters friends her father fell on his head and went to hospital they told him come tomorrow and didnt even do x ray on the skull
yes there are many complains from health care
professional doctors from other countries must be allowed here. to disolve language barriers and this is needed by foreigners here.

For those who paid attention to the system-wide issues stated in Post #2, Turkey is a great 90-day, "Turkish people-to-Global Community people" location to visit.

Turkey is also an Archeological site(s) visitor's paradise. We recommend purchasing the ""All Turkey Museums, Two-Week Pass for 185TL @ any museum location. We recommend the City of Izmir, as a base-point for visiting various popular sites, due to Izmir's 1-2 hour traveling-time proximity to most south-western sites.

The Basmane central train station is the usual, daily (07:15) launch-location to reach several popular sites, especially "Ephesus" ("Efes" in Turkish).

Sociologically, the Turkish people are (generally) the most pro-actively welcoming, and most genuinely friendly people in Asia. Turks will readily chat with you, give you helpful directions (even the police officers, on the street) in Turkish, despite their knowing that you do not understand a word they've said. Now that is pro-actively friendly behavior, indeed! :top:

However, regarding the long-term stay "Retirement in Turkey" topic is concerned ~ FYI - only if one is already married to a Turkish citizen (from back home), and/or has substantially deep retirement pockets, to support a European-side of Istanbul lifestyle :cool:

Hi
Actually I didn't retired in Turkey. We were living in Iran. and my husband retired there.
So i don't have any idea for this matter.

siwmman :

Health care plans for those retiring here on tourist visa must be improved and cover all conditions even dental.

Which country in the world offers visitors on tourist visas any free health care?

cancelled

Hi there

We plan to retire in Turkey after our son finishes his education in about a year and half. We have some good Turkish friends in Perth, and started to study about Turkey and its regions.

We like what we heard about Bursa but are concerned it might be too cold for us. Our Turkish friends have a property in Fethiye and told us a lot of good things about it but it seems that it is more for tourists. We are not really looking for a tourist town. I think maybe a nice village or a small town close to the Mediterranean's Turquoise Coast beaches would be a nice place for us.

We have been living on a small hobby farm in Australia for the past 13 years. Of course, as we progress to retirement, we will down size so that we will spend more time looking after ourselves than working on and maintaining the land. We think a house on a 2000-4000 m2 block would be ideal for us. We hope to be able to bring our dogs with us.

When we have a chance we will be visiting Turkey but we don't know when at this stage. We think the best course of action is to go to Turkey and live there for a few month, rent a car and explore ...

Meanwhile, we welcome any comments, feedback or ideas about places in Turkey that you may think to be suitable for us.

Well, last but not least, thank you for your time, and we look forward to hearing from you.

All the best and bye for now ...

Greetings, we've already been there, done that, and have the T-shirt collection.

Indeed, Turkey is a real "paradise", especially for expats coming from other Mediterranean regions, or the African continent locations.

FYI ~ do "yourselves" a huge favor. Enjoy a 30-day tourist excursion. Expect no Turk to speak English (with very few exceptions). Purchase the 185TL (two-week pass) to the museum and archaeological sites of Turkey. Travel by train, when and wherever possible.

Afterwards, either return to Perth, or your retirement years. You'll not regret it. :top:

There is an "unspoken" reason why, your Turkish "friends" are not residing in Turkey, themselves, eh?  And particularly so, regarding Retirement Health Care benefits, by comparison.

Thus, those same unspoken words to the wise, should be (abundantly) sufficient. :cool:

Many thank you for the tips; much appreciated; my Turkish friend has his reasons not to be residing in Turkey at the moment; he progressed his retirement plans really well and is waiting for the right time for him and his family; they have already purchased a nice villa in Fethyie but they don't seem very convinced with it... What would be the best time of the year to spend 4-6 weeks touring in Turkey. How is Bursa like as compared to the Province of Antalya. Any nice villages that you know in this area? Thanks and bye for now...

Hello fellow Australian,
Sorry we only know all the tourist sites, can't help!
We are retiring in Hungary, Budapest----in a few years time though----- as we have an apartment there and love the lifestyle and culture.  But we love Turkey too, it has been good to us, especially the kindness of the people. This side of the world is completely different to "OZZ" so you better spend a few months around here before you make up your mid as where to retire!

Many thanks Charlick; wishing you a delightful retirement in Budapest; so many wonderful places; what is your favorite spot in Turkey?

Sultanahmed-"old city", Göreme-"another planet?  Ephesus. To retire?  Izmir or Fatih?
Never been to Antalya  or surroundings as yet but seems too touristic even though a lot of "yabanci" live there.
The traffic in Istanbul is horrific even worth then in Bangkok, air pollution not as bad as some europian cities--some times--.The amount of "stray" animals will shock and sadden you but have to get used to it, also the rubbish where ever you go.  Shame they do not look after this beautiful country. But like I said before, the helpfulness and kindness of the Turkish people is unbelievable. I hope they never change!!!! We feel privileged to live here actually!  Best of luck what ever you decide.

Thank you Charlick for sharing your thoughts. Fully agree; a big city like Istanbul wouldn't be on our radar for retirement. Yes; Antalya city/town is very touristic; I spent 2 weeks there long time ago. I am attracted to Bursa from what I read about it. But, it seems to get very cold in winter. Will see... We hope to be able to visit Turkey by mid 2018. I heard from my Turkish friend that he feels that the country changed after the coup attempt. He said it affected the people some how. Another family friend has just returned from a short break in Istanbul. They loved it. They mentioned from discussions with Taxi drivers and a few Turkish people there that they are not very happy despite all the advancements that Turkey has achieved over the past 10-15 years. I don't understand why; for example, my Turkish friend would travel from Australia to Turkey so that he would enjoy a higher level of health care that he receives there. He also arranged/settled his government pension in Turkey with terms that cannot be matched in many advanced countries, including Australia. Not sure then why the Turkish people are not taking pride of Istanbul and keep it spotless clean. Maybe because the grass is always greener on the other side. If the remoteness and isolation of Western Australia was not an issue for us, we would have most probably not considered retirement elsewhere, so hope that the green grass theory is not applicable to us ;) Thanks once again and later ...

Moving to Turkey

Find tips from professionals about moving to Turkey

Travel insurance in Turkey

Enjoy stress-free travel to Turkey