Retiring in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Indonesia? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Indonesia (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Indonesia's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Indonesia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I'm far too young and handsome to retire just yet but I have a few notes:
To retire here you'll need a retirement visa. It's renewed yearly at first, then avery five years and has a few rules such as medical care insurance and hiring a local maid.
You also have to prove you have a minimum income and must have a sponsor approved by the government.
Cash depends on your lifestyle but starting from very little to crazy money if you want the very good life with loads of alcohol and other comforts.
Health care varies from the terrible to the top end modern and insurance premiums vary from the pretty fair and reasonable to the outrageous and crazy and some of the 'expat' companies have a terrible reputation for paying up so the hospitals don't like to take patients who use those companies.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 05#3064882

Retirement visa.

These are done through a travel agent, and must be collected from outside Indonesia, although there's nothing stopping you applying whilst you're in the country on a tourist visa.

INCOMPLETE LIST

You need to be a minimum age of 55 at the time of application.

Application form and guarantee from sponsor (An approved travel agent)
Copy of Business License (SIUP) of the sponsoring travel agent.
Copy of Taxpayer Identification Number of the sponsoring travel agent.

Statement of pension funds or Bank statement from the country of origin showing a minimal income of $ 2,500 per month
Health, death, and third party liability insurance.
Photocopy of marriage certificate (If applicable)
Colour photocopy of passport.
(The passport must be valid for at least 18 months)
Statement letter to show the rent of accommodation
Statement you will hire a local maid.

I was going to look at this for my mother but illness has ended that possible plan meaning I never completed the list.

Thanks Fred.  Is the $2,500 per month a typo?  I thought it is $1,500. Include a serit domicile from chief of village.  I am applying for KITAP this year and was told immigration now requires SKTT as part of application package.  The proof of rent letter (with copy of KTP of property owner) has certain minimum monthly rental amounts depending on where you intend to live. The rules also specify the rental must be in a tourist area, but no one seems to know where those lines are on a map :-)

J

I know one thing this visa long term, retirement visa stuff is very confusing and it's amazing to me know one seems to know what actually needed today not a few years ago.  Give some real solid information because I still can't seem to find any straight forward info not even on this site.

Welcome to Indonesia where things change here more regularly, and without warning, than the weather. 

The fact is, on many issues one could call and discuss almost any matter with three or more immigration offices in various Provinces of Indonesia....and get three disparate answers.  Even worse...within the same immigration office it's not impossible to hear disparate information from various "official" employees there! 

My point is simple...concentrate your questions to the immigration office where you plan to live, or process your documents.  Another point I'd make is to find a good local agent in that area of your intentions. 

Immigration and "paper processing" is a die hard and long standing tradition of what I could euphemistically call, "initiation."  On one level, or another, we've all been through this induction process...frustrating and totally insane as it often is!

How about being maried to Balineese woman?
What must i when i'want to go and live together whit my wife and dauther on Bali!
Whe are maried on Bali and the mariage is also accept and legalise in The Netherlands and Europe.
I'am 53 years old right now. And because of health problems i will have an urly retirement!

Regards George

I guess that most people who join this site are more familiar with applying for KITAS and KITAP and many are married to Indonesian partners who help a lot with the application process.

Ubudian is absolutely correct that you should visit the Immigration Office where you plan to live and ask them directly about the requirements and process for a Retirement Visa. Also, requirements often change as they have done this year, so it may be the same for Retirement Visas too.

For KITAS/KITAP, applicants need to get signatures from various people and Government offices, beginning with the Chairman of the local area where one lives and at various government offices. A police report is required at the beginning and every time you change your address. One also needs to apply for an Identity Card before applying for a KITAS/KITAP. When you have all these documents you go back to Immigration to start the application.

Personally I have no idea about applying for a Retirement Visa but it could be difficult trying to do it without an Agent or someone with a lot of patience to help you apply. You can often find Agents assisting others in the immigration offices.

Ubudian wrote:

The fact is, on many issues one could call and discuss almost any matter with three or more immigration offices in various Provinces of Indonesia....and get three disparate answers.

This is still true but getting better bit by bit as the regulations are enforced and the immigration offices, now pretty much free of corruption, improve their performance.

George159 wrote:

How about being maried to Balineese woman?

That's easy.
As long as your marriage was registered at the local town hall, your marriage will pretty much automatically entitle you to a wife sponsored KITAS, that turning into a KITAP after two years.

abdulkhalil wrote:

One also needs to apply for an Identity Card before applying for a KITAS/KITAP. s.

Unless things have changed .....

A KITAS holder must get an SKTT (green foreigner ID card) but that can't be issued without a valid KITAS.

A KITAP holder must get an KTP WNA (A foreigner ID card) but that can't be issued without a valid KITAP.

Both of the above are valid until the expiry date of the immigration document.

I have seen immigration officers ask for the SKTT or KTP WNA on renewal of an immigration document.

Thank you for you're answer, ower mariage is done at the local gouverment office in Denpasar, and later legalized in the Netherlands (Europe)!

Regards George