Retiring in Gambia

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Gambia? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Gambia (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is the Gambia's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Gambia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.


Hi Everyone, just a contribution.

If you want to Retire and Live in The Gambia, you would need a Residency Permit.
In order to reside in The Gambia (for working purposes, for example), non-Gambians / expatriates require a employment / residential  permit for themselves and and an alien’s identity card for themselves and each of their dependents who are 18 years of age or more. The residential / employment permit and Aliens ID card needs to be renewed annually.
" There are no specific or formalities to go through in other to retire in Gambia. Its easy, just plan, get ready and move down here, buy or rent a house, pay for your permits and live forever. "

What is the Gambia's healthcare like?
To be sincerely speaking, Gambia healthcare is bullshit! Only God is helping us down here. Living in Gambia is the cheapest you can get anywhere in the world, but the healthcare is messed up and disorganised. From Gambia to Senegal is just a 4 hours drive, so this is what people do, when its very serious, they drive down to Senegal for medication. The minor aspects can be taken care of in Gambia.

You must carry both your work / residency permit for Gambia and your Aliens ID Card in case you are asked for these by a member of the Immigration Department or the Police.

There are 3 categories of residential permits and there is a fee payable for each one.

Type A:
This is for resident purpose only and issued to retired foreign citizens and international students.

Type B:
This category is used for employment and it is used by citizens of ECOWAS and other foreign nationals who are working in Gambia in skilled employment and companies.

Type C:
This residential permit is issued to skilled workers and small traders.

Nationals coming from Mauritania, Republic of Guinea, Mali or Senegal are exempt from having to pay the residential permit.

Alien's ID Cards:
All persons living in Gambia must have and carry their identity card at all times. The alien card is valid for 1 full year and its function is to identify foreign nationalities living in the country. To get the alien's ID card one must first submit their passport and own nation's ID card. Failing this he or she should get a sworn affidavit or a consular's card proving one's nationality.

There are 2 types:
A) ECOWAS citizen members:
Cost of card and small charge for application form.

B) Non-ECOWAS nationalities:
Cost of card and small charge for application form.

National Identity Cards:
It is compulsory by law for all Gambians over the age of 18 years of age to carry an ID card at all times. Before one is issued you must produce proof of identity either in the form of a Birth Certificate, Voter's Card or a sworn affidavit from your local chief. Fines and / or imprisonment can be imposed for a failure to produce one when requested to do so.


New topic