Retiring in Finland

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Finland? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Finland (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Finland's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Finland?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

:( Statistically the worst place in Europe for retired pensioners to live is....yes......Finland !

The monthly very basic health costs alone for myself, a fit, simple living 75 yr old is usually more than the pension I get !
I eat popcorn and cabbage 5 days a week and borrow money from friends to buy real food.
Today an elderly well dressed lady ask me if I could give her 2 euros. I was ashamed to tell her I had no money at all, Meanwhile an elderly man was searching the street rubbish bins !
I am still paying collection fees to Intrum Justicia for last winter electricity bill!  etc etc

I need operation for Prostate and ankle problem . I have been trying in vain for several years now to save in order to have the treatment etc etc, but this year I needed to have a tooth removed because the   
treatment to save the tooth was too expensive etc etc

Oh I live in a mokki with no water and electric heating too expensive. I have no transport to get wood, naturally I have no TV nor bicycle.

Yeah, I reckon anywhere else may be a better proposition but......how ?