Retiring in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Brazil? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Brazil (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Brazil's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Brazil?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi there

I just left Brazil after 14 years and came back to the UK where I could retire on full pension  if I wanted to. I choose not to for reasons below.

Reasons to leave Brazil when getting to retirement age:
1) As a Brit once you take your UK pension in Brazil it never goes up as it does (by min 2.5%) in the UK
2) You have to have a health plan which costs more and more every year.

Positive reasons to return to the UK
1) Deferring my pension once back in the UK sees it rise by 10.5% a year in value
2) I get a freedom pass which allows me to travel everywhere in London for free, using tube and buses at all times, including rush hours. Plus I get free transport on buses in many other major cities  like Bristol, Cambridge, Brighton.
3) I get a winter fuel allowance of R$800 to cover extra electricity/gas used
4) I get to see a doctor and use the National Health Service for free so don't need a health plan
5) People get up for me on the tube if they think I may want a seat (i.e. there's respect for older people)
6) Prescriptions and eye tests and X-rays and medical tests are all free
7) I get 30% off trains and a similar amount of intercity buses for minimal fee.
8) I have both family and friends around, not just friends.

I think it's evident why I left Brazil, however much I may continue to love it. It's not a place for oldies.

Riodejaneiro23 wrote:

Hi there

I just left Brazil after 14 years and came back to the UK where I could retire on full pension  if I wanted to. I choose not to for reasons below.

1) As a Brit once you take your UK pension in Brazil it never goes up as it does (by min 2.5%) in the UK

1) Deferring my pension once back in the UK sees it rise by 10.5% a year in value
2) I get a freedom pass which allows me to travel everywhere in London for free, using tube and buses at all times, including rush hours. Plus I get free transport on buses in many other major cities  like Bristol, Cambridge, Brighton.
4) I get to see a doctor and use the National Health Service for free so don't need a health plan
5) People get up for me on the tube if they think I may want a seat (i.e. there's respect for older people)
7) I get 30% off trains and a similar amount of intercity buses for minimal fee.

I think it's evident why I left Brazil, however much I may continue to love it. It's not a place for oldies.

And the down side of going back to the UK

1) Cold and damp weather,  that go's to the boné
2) 3/4 of the year with hardley any sun
3) The only people that smile at you are the one's that have just muged you
4)  Knowing that most of the real English dont live there anymore
5)  Knowing that the labour party might be running the country soon
6)  when i was last on the Tube, i never sew any respect, mind you it was rush hour,, maybe to early
7) Tesco's food,
8)  Not being able to walk down the road nex to a mosque, if you not a muslime
9)  Knowing criminals are getting treated nicely

Shall i go on with more

As a U.S. citizen, living in Brasil depends on where you live (and with whom) .... Don`t you agree?

Ron Hevener wrote:

As a U.S. citizen, living in Brasil depends on where you live (and with whom) .... Don`t you agree?

Yes i would, agree
But then "What would in know. Iam not Retired yet" LOL
my flipping UK goverment keep changing the retirement age date's, i will keep living just to get some of my Money back LOL
There all out to get me

Hi there

Living overseas is not for the very young at heart.  One must have the desire to live in a foreign country and then the temperament in order to handle the daily challenges.  My wife and I just celebrated living 2 years in Praia de Pipa, Brazil located in the State of Rio Grande do Norte.  We live just 100 yrds from the beach in a gated 49 unit condominium.  The city, Praia de Pipa, or just Pipa has somewhere around 12,000 people with a lively fishing industry.  Pipa also host about 8,000 tourist per day during the high season so there is every effort made by the government to ensure a low crime rate.  Violent crime (robberies and homicides) are nearly non-existent here.  There are other reasons why we chose Brazil as we lived in Sao Paulo from 1998 through 2004.  Other reasons for moving here:
1)  I could not purchase a 1500 sq ft villa with a roof top veranda and Jacuzzi in the USA for what I paid for one here in Brazil.  Annual Taxes are about $65.00 USD.  Electricity is averaging about $100.00 per month.  That powers my 220v 5 person Jacuzzi and the air conditioner in our master bedroom nightly.
2)  Getting a Retirement Visa in Brazil as been simplified and expedited.  It now takes only about 60 days to apply for and get this visa at a cost of about $164.00 USD.  Brazil's requirement is that you have attained the age of 60 and have a retirement of about $2,000 USD per month.  Honestly though, they declined to see my letter from the USA showing my proof of retirement and monthly amount.
3)  Food is cheaper to purchase, buying a car was as simple as placing it onto my credit card at the Honda Dealership in Natal.  I took delivery of my Honda "FIT" 3 days later.  Annual renewal of a car license plate is simple and paid through the bank at about $1,200 USD per year.  That is expensive where I come from but many from the EU will probably find this to be cheaper. 
3)  My monthly retirement check is direct deposited into a USA Bank.......I would never recommend having it sent to Brazil as the Banks here do funny things with accounts without telling you.  I use ATMs to pull money and deposit into a local bank account for some bill pay.  Some bills you will still need to stand in line to make payments at Banks or Lottery outlets or at grocery stores. 
4)  Brazil has SUS as their public health and it's free to anyone.  There is a Clinic in Tibau do Sul, about 5 km away that is staffed 24/7 and they can treat critical care patients until they are stabilized and then transfer to the big hospitals in Natal 1 hour away.  We have used SUS without any issues for common ailments like the flue and falls.  But we also have private insurance and we are accustom to that being from the USA.  We just switched insurance companies from Brazil's Insurance giant, Amil to an expat insurance out of the USA.  For persons over 60 years of age I found full coverage to include Worldwide, USA and Brazil, and a deductible of $500.00 USD for about $700 USD per month for both of us.  This includes picking your own doctor and hospital.  I could not get that kind of price on private insurance in the USA.

Tips for anyone looking to move here to Brazil or anywhere outside of their home country: 
1)  Go visit and stay for a month.  Lease a location and pay some bills.  This might sound simplistic but it is one of things that drive expats crazy!
2)  Anyone can buy property in Brazil.  However, there are no Title companies and you would really need a reputable attorney for the purchase.  I looked for a local attorney who was also licensed in the USA.  That gave me some leverage for complaints had I had any.
3)  Stay away from the big cities where the cost of living is higher and incidents of crime are off the charts.  Most of the expats that complain about Brazil are live in the large cities.
4)  Spend lots of time on the computer doing your research.  Perform your due diligence for the area you want to move to.  Home prices, internet and cell phone tower availability, medical facilities, crime stats, etc, etc!
5)  Have a hobby!  I cannot say this enough as being retired in vacation land is great, but what do you do after the swim in the Ocean?  Golf course in this State are rare and are far, far between.  My wife picked up working with glass bottles and corks that she sells.  I finally got into my part-time passion when I worked in the USA......Photography!  I have expanded this now to include drone videography as well.   And don't rule out looking for a gym for daily work outs.  As we get older, well you l know!

Well said Gotcha184 i dont think anyone has said it better

Tips for anyone looking to move here to Brazil or anywhere outside of their home country: 
1)  Go visit and stay for a month.  Lease a location and pay some bills.  This might sound simplistic but it is one of things that drive expats crazy!
2)  Anyone can buy property in Brazil.  However, there are no Title companies and you would really need a reputable attorney for the purchase.  I looked for a local attorney who was also licensed in the USA.  That gave me some leverage for complaints had I had any.
3)  Stay away from the big cities where the cost of living is higher and incidents of crime are off the charts.  Most of the expats that complain about Brazil are live in the large cities.
4)  Spend lots of time on the computer doing your research.  Perform your due diligence for the area you want to move to.  Home prices, internet and cell phone tower availability, medical facilities, crime stats, etc, etc!
5)  Have a hobby!  I cannot say this enough as being retired in vacation land is great, but what do you do after the swim in the Ocean?  Golf course in this State are rare and are far, far between.  My wife picked up working with glass bottles and corks that she sells.  I finally got into my part-time passion when I worked in the USA......Photography!  I have expanded this now to include drone videography as well.   And don't rule out looking for a gym for daily work outs.  As we get older, well you l know!

spanishpete wrote:
Riodejaneiro23 wrote:

Hi there

And the down side of going back to the UK

1) Cold and damp weather,  that go's to the boné
2) 3/4 of the year with hardley any sun
3) The only people that smile at you are the one's that have just muged you
4)  Knowing that most of the real English dont live there anymore
5)  Knowing that the labour party might be running the country soon
6)  when i was last on the Tube, i never sew any respect, mind you it was rush hour,, maybe to early
7) Tesco's food,
8)  Not being able to walk down the road nex to a mosque, if you not a muslime
9)  Knowing criminals are getting treated nicely

Shall i go on with more

I think we haven't been in the same country Pete. Definitely don't recognise the country you're talking  about. I enjoy both Brazil and the UK.I've just chosen to return to  the UK. And whatever is "real English" by the way? Or "not being able to walk down the road next to a mosque if you're not a muslim". What a load of rubbish. As for the weather nowhere is perfect but  I've seen loads of sun over the last year. Sorry you weren't around to appreciate it.

In time 'your' find Iam right, and the wont be able to get back to Brazil Quick enough,,,,,,,,,,,, i know whats comming  the liberals are destroying the place
any way iam glead your happy there,and good luck to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your going to need it, because soon its not going to be your country

The main reason actually the only reason I am retired in Brazil is because my wife is Brazilian. I find that my US pension goes a long way in Brazil. My wife also has a good pension so we do quite well.

Jim

spanishpete wrote:

In time 'your' find Iam right, and the wont be able to get back to Brazil Quick enough,,,,,,,,,,,, i know whats comming  the liberals are destroying the place
any way iam glead your happy there,and good luck to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your going to need it, because soon its not going to be your country

???
It's clearly not your country Pete since you can't even write English correctly.  You want to go back to the days of the Empire? Maybe the 1960s/1970s? Think the National Front is the way to go?   Sounds like you're on a total racist escape trip so happy you're out of the UK for sure.

Riodejaneiro23 wrote:
spanishpete wrote:

???
It's clearly not your country Pete since you can't even write English correctly.  You want to go back to the days of the Empire? Maybe the 1960s/1970s? Think the National Front is the way to go?   Sounds like you're on a total racist escape trip so happy you're out of the UK for sure.

Its it so Lucky the so called "National Front" were a round during world war one and two,,,, and how meany of the National Front, and racists are married to black girls, like me,,,,,,,,,,, it sounds like to me England has another Liberal in its ranks, to help it down the road to its doom
Keep it up Girl

As a political observer, I must say the UK is not the only country losing its cultural identity. And for many of the same reasons.

Ron Hevener wrote:

As a political observer, I must say the UK is not the only country losing its cultural identity. And for many of the same reasons.

...................................Then up the Revolution..............................................................

Ron Hevener wrote:

..............................."Take"  "religion" out of Laws and governments

Wow Spanish Pete you really ruffled her feathers. Yes the Liberal movement is a problem in many countries. Europe will never be the same and its culture will slowly dwindle away.   

As for retiring in Brazil it was a shock to say the least. Even though my retirement is 3x more here, it still needs to be supplemented with another source of income. I am also only 40, so I need to keep working too. It is very expensive to live here and the taxes are extremely high. The amount of taxes paid don't match the infrastructure of the country. Perhaps when all the corruption is fixed it will get better, but after decades of leaching and the liberal policies in place it may take awhile. 

Not to say I wouldn't do it again, but I would be more aware of what to expect. The social lifestyle and more laidback approach to life has me hooked. I will remain here for the unforeseen future.

Like said above by Gotcha 184, visit and see if its appealing. Remember, living like a tourist is different than a full time resident. When I did the short visits I felt like a king with the American dollar burning a hole in my pocket. As a resident the bills are more substantial. Even though I am paying in the dollar, the correlation of the prices are not equal.

My tips are all the same as Gotcha 184. ATM withdrawal is the best way to get money here. I recently just opened a bank account here after 1 1/2 years. Got tired of long lines at the banks and lottery to pay monthly bills. Easier to withdraw from American account and immediately deposit into Brazilian bank account with the same ATM machine. Then go home and pay at my leisure. 

I think healthcare is amazing here, got to pay for it though and the service is excellent. With children we have had some exciting ER trips here and they have been fast and courteous. It is true, with age the rates do go up.

I think one of the main things is to embrace the culture and live like a Brazilian. Remain positive and get involved in something that keeps you busy. I am not entirely in need of a hobby yet, but I do hit the gym regularly. I am in better shape here, because the lifestyle of eating healthy is more prominent. The sit down and enjoy a meal restaurants out number the fast food dives here.

Wow Spanish Pete you really ruffled her feathers

Yep thats me,
And from someone that, cant spell and is probably an "avid"  viewer of the Jeremy Kyle show so  making me "not English"
...............................................even the thickO's can up set people

this is loads of fun, more more please

Retirement.

The first step is to learn enough of the lingo to get along.
Before you make up your mind, check out Brasil spend a vacation here. If you're retired and want a quiet peaceful life on the edge of suburbia that is, you may have a nice retirement.
The city life isn't for me is not my thing.
You definitely need to have a formula, be it a quiet retirement or you like the night life, clubbing etc.
Keep your money in the states and receive through a bank debit card, Bradesco is relatively safe and the money change to reais is simple

As in any country there are areas to stay out of, especially so for a foreigner.  please don't make any definitive decisions until you have visited and had a look around. You will also need a permanency status if you intend on staying, that requires a lawyer, a few bucks and time. Though for me it was worth it. 

If you choose the night life, there are certain places that you may consider, if you need a peacefull retirement, nice and quiet, there are far many locations you should investigate.

CJ

Christopher Jones..........One does not need a lawyer to apply for a retirement permanent resident Visa.  This process has been simplified and you only need to go on-line and fill out the Police Federal visa paperwork and then schedule an appointment on-line.  The Application will then be processed and the PF will then tell you that you will need 2 passport photos, copies of each of your passport pages,  and he will give you a boleto or a bill for about R$164.00 to be paid and the receipt brought back with the photos and copies.  They will then finger print you and that is it.  About 30 to 60 later the new Visa is ready to be picked up.    As Americans we were able to get through this process relatively easy.  But it is important for applicants to remember that you must have attained your 60th birthday in order to apply.  They may or may not ask you for proof of retirement with payouts of $2,000.00 per month,  They didn't ask me for proof although I had it if they had.

Many people become overwhelmed at some paperwork. Also the listen to people who have done the processes previously. Things change all the time.  Before getting yourself in a lot of expense check it out and ask for help here on this forum

Jim

Gotha , Times(bureaucracy) have sure changed, I needed a lawyer, background- criminal check, state, federal records, Interpol, etc...Finally a congressional approval..
Thats good new for retired folks... They will experience a culture shock and must have an open mind and the ability to adapt.
Thanks .

Gotcha, I have to mention I was taken back by the kindness and consideration shown to older folks, very impressive..

Yeah, I like the respect shown to the older folks here. I would say elderly, but it seems respect is given to anyone older throughout the generations.

Plus the families, people with children, elderly, pregnant, etc. first in most waiting line activities like the airport, banks and other places is great.

I don't fit into these categories at the moment and get skipped in line a bunch, but I don't mind it and actually embrace this part of the culture.

Please let's be respectful of all honest comments. Remember not all insults are deserving of response. Pete perhaps you could tell us why you are so angry she went home?

what have i mist

exnyer wrote:

Please let's be respectful of all honest comments. Remember not all insults are deserving of response. Pete perhaps you could tell us why you are so angry she went home?

i dont think im the one thats angry, i was having fun

Is someone stirring the pot, 😂

If this is fun for you then I'm afraid that you are what you pretend to be....a troll!

Gotcha184 wrote:

If this is fun for you then I'm afraid that you are what you pretend to be....a troll!

so you think Iam an ugly cave-dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.
you better ask my wife :dumbom:

It`s time for this forum to go back to what it is designed for. A place for people to get help ask questions and share experiences.  It doesn`t matter who started what and who said what. It need to end now. Lets go back to helping people.  I am here for that. The other stuff can be found in facebook groups.

Jim

So .... about "Retiring in Brasil" .... Personally, I don't consider myself retired (by a long shot) because, in my kind of work, we work to our last thinking breath .... But I "can" say, I love it here for the unpredictability. Do I think Brasil is the land of Procrastination???? (as in, never do today what can wait until tomorrow) ... FOR SURE!!! ........ But, do I consider it to be a powerful country waiting to take its place on the international stage?  Yes, I believe that can happen and -- in its own, unique way -- it could be one of the most influential countries in the world. Yes, there is so much paper work that sometimes I actually wonder if businesses really want to get their money or not .... Then, I hear gun shots at 4 in the morning and dynamite explosions as yet another bank is robbed and forced to close in my town (3 banks so far this year -- only one left now) and I think .... Well, THOSE guys sure don't care about paper work .... Like I said, Brasil is stimulating for the mind and heart and soul --  and if you don't want your retirement to be boring -- well, here we are!!!!

Ron Hevener wrote:

So .... about "Retiring in Brasil" .... Personally, I don't consider myself retired (by a long shot) because, in my kind of work, we work to our last thinking breath .... But I "can" say, I love it here for the unpredictability. Do I think Brasil is the land of Procrastination???? (as in, never do today what can wait until tomorrow) ... FOR SURE!!! ........ But, do I consider it to be a powerful country waiting to take its place on the international stage?  Yes, I believe that can happen and -- in its own, unique way -- it could be one of the most influential countries in the world. Yes, there is so much paper work that sometimes I actually wonder if businesses really want to get their money or not .... Then, I hear gun shots at 4 in the morning and dynamite explosions as yet another bank is robbed and forced to close in my town (3 banks so far this year -- only one left now) and I think .... Well, THOSE guys sure don't care about paper work .... Like I said, Brasil is stimulating for the mind and heart and soul --  and if you don't want your retirement to be boring -- well, here we are!!!!

Well said that man

I was already retired prior to my first trip to Brazil. I started coming here in 2015 for spiritual reasons, but initially had no desire to move here -- only visit. That changed for 2 reasons: I found the spiritual connection I was looking for and I met my future wife. I also came to love many things about Brazil, most importantly the Brazilian people. Unless something unforeseen happens, I expect to live the rest of my life in Brazil.

Welcome :)

Interesting topic. I'm on my long way to retiring anywhere... but first I need do research how it work living 30 years in EU (POland) than moving to Brazil (and stay there for life or return after 10 years with wife and kids to Europe/Poland or perhaps go to other country) - to think about possible things like pension etc - but hopefully I will be able to build some other income/saving/investments that would secure me and my family (perhaps raising a new Neymar haha). especially if Europe is getting older... in Poland everyone saying that in future our social system will be broken etc.

what do yoh mean health is great there but have to pay for it ? public health care is free to all

It is true that there is SUS and After living here for 3 years my wife and I both have the SUS card.  We use this for minor injuries and illnesses but we carry international insurance for Brazil and the USA.  We do this because the public health care, although nice, is not the answer for everything!  Last year a villa owner at my resort and expat fell down 2 flights of stairs.  It took several days to convince her that she needed to see a doctor.  We got written orders in Tibau do Sol for an x-ray and the closet x-ray machine was in Gioanihna 18 km away.  Arrived there with the request for x-rays only to find the the only x-ray machine outside of Natal for this entire area was broken, had been broken for 2 months and they did not know when it would be fixed.  I immediately called my private doctor in Natal and he sent us to a Radiological center in Natal.  We immediately drove there where it took only 5 minutes to register the expat and within 15 minutes we the x-ray that showed here right arm had a clean break and here shoulder socket had been pulled out of socket by several inches.  Surgery at a private hospital was done the next day.

ltlwolf wrote:

what do yoh mean health is great there but have to pay for it ? public health care is free to all

You ever hear the saying, you get what you pay for? Exactly, the free healthcare is terrible and as soon as you flash that insurance card...you bypass all those free health patients for immediate service.

CraigF wrote:

as soon as you flash that insurance card...you bypass all those free health patients for immediate service.

Unfortunately, not the case with the insurance advertised here on expat.com, at least where we live:  it's not recognized by any providers.  All we can do is pay as private patients, and get reimbursed.   Unacceptable!  In the process of getting Brazilian coverage.