Retiring in Barbados

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Barbados? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Barbados (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Barbados's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Barbados?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Why did you choose to retire in Barbados? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

My wife and I have ben coming to Barbados for more than 20 years, and after we retired, we decided to come here. There are many reasons, but I suppose the main is weather and beauty.

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..  See above.

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Barbados (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)? Yes, there are many forms to fill out and much information to provide to immigration. You must show that you are able to pay for yourselves, pensions, savings and so on. You must provide proof of health insurance, and you must prove that you will not be a burden on Barbados, at any point of your life here. If you have health insurance that does not work with the systems in Barbados, you must pay for all medical services up front, and file claims yourself. Other requirements include proving that you are not a criminal in Barbados or your native country, do not have diseases and so on. Also, immigration will stamp on your passport and your forehead that you at are not eligible for employment, and this is a big one. 

What is Barbados's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals? Barbados has both a public and private healthcare system. I have been happy with all my doctors and medical providers here in Barbados. I get the same complete services that I would expect anywhere.

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Barbados? There is a 5 years living in Barbados requirement, before application is considered. How you work that out with immigration is up to you. Also, do not have any expectations, as applications can be denied.