Retiring in Algeria

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Algeria? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Algeria (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Algeria's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Algeria?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In overall experience I can say about Algeria is just OK.

If you are from an under developed country, you would feel much good there. Almost 99% of the population in the country are Muslims, but don't compare it with Arabian countries like Dubai, Oman etc. Population density in the country is very less. Even though the country is huge in size , habitation is dense at shore areas.

Algiers is the major city in Algeria, where you can find high facilitation and higher living standards. Apart from that Oran is another city, but much smaller as it compared with algiers. As I am from India, Algiers is not even comparable with Chennai city.

You can find a lot of jobless youth roaming around the streets. Be safe while travelling in algerian streets. There are a lot of Pick-pocketers and thiefs.

The most disgusting thing about Algerian people  is that, when they meet a foreign person first of all they will ask their religion. If non muslim they will show disappointment and they will start preaching. They believe that muslims are the superiors and all the others are waste. 90% of the algerians shows similar attitude.

Regarding work culture, they don't have any discipline except for some educated fellows. The rich ones got chance to go abroad and they have wide visions and broad thinking ability. Most of the algerians are lazy. They will find all excuses to not to work.

You can find a lot of people sitting idle in coffee shops from morning to evening chatting each other. Smoking and coffee drinking is unavoidable for an algerian. They will discuss about anything even though they do not have any idea about what they are talking.

Not even a shaving blade is manufactured in algeria, so everything is imported from other countries. Obviously the prices are high due to this condition. Food expenses are not much high.
French bread is the mostly available food there, chicken is also widely used.

Note- You wont be able to convert algerian dinar to dollor or any other foreign currencies. You can find some black marketers to handle foreign money. The black market rates are about double the market prizes.

Bonjour Sansuper,
Salut.... ca va,
Hi,  I'm Richard.  I'm originally from Boston, and I now live in California, Santa Barbara .
I appreciated your assessment.
Merci... merci.... Chokran

hello Priscilla,

I don't have information about Algeria since I move to canada long time ago as immigrant.  I have no contact concerning their system honestly. if you are thinking to leave and work in Algeria you should first consult the Embassy or Consulat. the only people can may help you.

Good Luck.
Madjid.

Asalaam alaykoum.

I am intending to retire in Algeria.  I lived there before for 18 months and while it was a little different than living on the central Coast of California, I did enjoy the experience immensely.

It does help if you know someone from Algeria.  That way they can keep a close eye on you and help you get your footing in their beautiful land.  I lived in Western Algeria and that is where I intend to retire.  The largest city in the area is Tlemcen.  The only time I was in Algiers was for traveling to the airport or to the US Embassy.  That city is way too big for me and I found it to be too much hustle and bustle.

I'm moving there because of the less expensive cost of living as compared to the US.  I cannot live off  my income here, but there in Algeria I will be fine.  The first time around I discovered that everything I need can be found there; just not the huge variety like here.  If your looking for somewhere that is the same as where you live now, forget it.  You will be very much disappointed.  Be adventurous!  I came to think of it as sort of like camping.  LOL

I received good medical care while I was there.  My doctor even spoke English.  I had dental work done in Algeria and let me tell you, the price was right!  My dentist also spoke English.

My main concerns now center around accessing my retirement income for my living expenses.  I had read (and I can't remember where) that some retiring Americans use a French based bank to do all their financial stuff.  If anyone out there knows more about this, please let me know.