Motorbikes and scooters in Saigon

Hi everyone,

I have been told that I should get an automatic bike when I get over there in a few months because I don't have motorcycle riding experience and so navigating the traffic AND learning how to ride / change gears might be a bit too much!

So are automatic bikes hard to find? Are they more expensive? What brands / models are people aware of that might be good. We would just be using them to get around Saigon  - not for traveling or anything.

Cheers,

Emma

Its crowded here in Saigon with so many vehicles even not in rush hours. So maybe getting an automatic bike is a good choice for you since you don't have driving license in Vietnam. It will cost around 300-500 USD depends on the brand, condition, etc.

martin107-bike.com/?opt=category&cat=4 Here's the link of Martin 107 brand. It's quite a reliable brand here in Vietnam I think, and cost less than 400 usd

Oh man, those are sooo cute.. maybe you are right about the electric bikes! Do you know how fast they go?

Though - I think I'd prefer an auto motorbike - any info on them anyone?

Max 25 km/hour for electric bike but trust me even in the city with auto motorbike, usually people only can ride at 30-35 km/hour due to the crowdedness.

If you'd prefer an auto motorbike, I recommend you to get a scooter because its easier to ride, no worries about changing gears. But the price is more expensive

Hi Emma, I have two bikes one an automatic scooter for comuting and a chopper for my weekend play thing, both are 150cc so quite large for here but I'm a big lad so they carry me and passanger comfortably.
I'd say rent one initially (around 1-1.5 mill per month) and then that will give you plenty of time to find a good one.
Have a chat with the info I pm'd you as I hire one of mine through her too :-) the other I own.

Good idea re leasing one first, thanks heaps (again).

Hi emma,I think u should buy a bike rather than rent,If u rent and cause a few bumps or scratches they try and milk u!I recommend u buy a really cheap automatic u can get a attila cheapest is around 5million vnd (250usd) be safe.

Hi, I am abit confused. You mentioned Emma doesn't have a license, but don't you need a license to ride an auto motorbike (not electic bike)?

Do you have 50cc below auto motorbike in HCMC? So, you won't need a license.

mintcandy87 wrote:

Max 25 km/hour for electric bike but trust me even in the city with auto motorbike, usually people only can ride at 30-35 km/hour due to the crowdedness.

If you'd prefer an auto motorbike, I recommend you to get a scooter because its easier to ride, no worries about changing gears. But the price is more expensive

Yes I think I'd rather get an auto scooter and then also get my license - has anyone gone through the process to get a license?

Emma

Hi Emma, yep I've got my licence one a few expats that have! Process is straight forward enough. 3 paths depending on your current situation.
In a nutshell its this :-

1) No current license from home :- take both written and practical test.
2) current license from home but no bike :- get license converted into Vietnamese, take practical test.
3) current bike license from home :- get license converted - job done :)http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case1.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case2.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case3.htm

I think it is quite easy to get a local license for "local" :)

However, for foreigner who cannot understand their language, it will be uphill task.

EmmaTravelling wrote:

Yes I think I'd rather get an auto scooter and then also get my license - has anyone gone through the process to get a license?

Emma

laidbackfreak wrote:

Hi Emma, yep I've got my licence one a few expats that have! Process is straight forward enough. 3 paths depending on your current situation.
In a nutshell its this :-

1) No current license from home :- take both written and practical test.
2) current license from home but no bike :- get license converted into Vietnamese, take practical test.
3) current bike license from home :- get license converted - job done :)http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case1.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case2.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case3.htm

Sooooo helpful, as always!

Em

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Emma, I thought you said you are not good at manual bike? And I presumed your bike license will be taught in manual mode...... Ok, sorry for being nosy.

henrylamcs wrote:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Emma, I thought you said you are not good at manual bike? And I presumed your bike license will be taught in manual mode...... Ok, sorry for being nosy.

No I don't want a manual, thought you could get auto scooters or motorbikes (they are a bit more expensive).. Emma

AND I thought you take your own bike for the practical part of the test..

To get a license you have to have a visa stamp of three months or more. Take your passport with you. You will also have to have your current drivers license translated as well. Take some passport photo's. They will only give you either a license for a car or motorcycle with your current license, not both. Go directly to the place that handles the drivers license. It is located in Dist. 3 (H.C.M.C.) Go directly to the place and upstairs. It cost $2.00 U.S. to get the license, and it was $5 to get my license from the states translated into Vietnamese.  Don't trust those outside that say they can help you, as in anyplace. They are just trying to scam you. As with most places, you never really know what kind of paperwork they will ask for. So just smile and be patient. 

As for scooters.  If your not all that good on a bike, get an automatic.  It is not like riding in the States, except downtown L.A. or New York.  Just go with the flow and relax.

krazeekalvin wrote:

They will only give you either a license for a car or motorcycle with your current license, not both.

That's incorrect for my licence they transfered both my car and all other vehicles and A1 bike licence. However they did not transfer my A2 bike licence.

also the links provided show exactly what steps are needed and where to go to gain your licence here :)

When did you get yours done?  I am assuming your from England with the A1 and A2?  An A1, if I am not mistaken, is for 125cc and lower.  The motorcycles license in the States is for any size. They don't do scooter licenses in the U.S..  Except for some state which restricts underage riders to certain sizes, like 125cc and under. I am going through the process right now.  They will not do both for me. My license is from the U.S. and I have a motorcycle endorsement on it.  I have tried over the last month to get both.  They keep telling me either one or the other, and I have tried different individuals just in case they would tell me different. Would like to know how I can get both.

Hi Emma,

Getting your license here and buying an automatic motorbike is the ideal scenario.  Krazeekalvin is right, the process is quite straight forward and relatively cheap.  Getting a license for both, automobiles and motorbikes, is possible.  It just takes a little bit more work.

As for the automatic motorbikes, I bought a Suzuki Hayate, for around $1,300 USD.  However, there are tons of others.  It all depends on your personal taste and budget.  Your physical size is another factor:  if you are about 6'2 or 1.80+m, you don't want to be caught on one of those 50cc scooters.  No, it won't look right!

Do be careful with these things and these riders though, I had just had an accident with them and got myself and my motorbike some scratches.  Other than that, you will be fine.

If you need more detailed help, feel free to drop me a line.

Best wish,
Howie

Krazeekalvin, I got my licence about 6 months ago. It was pretty straight forward I got my paperwork translated and then signed at my consulate. I then took it too y tu trong (D1), quick medical downstairs and then upstairs to get it processed. A week later I returned to collect it and both my car and bike were dated the same :-)
Yes I'm from England and your correct that A1 is up to 125cc and A is full bike any cc, although it's changed recently as you can now do a licence just for scooters, I think they this is classed as P, means you can carry passengers and no need to display learner plates.

We went to a place in D-1, and they sent us to D-3.  Actually got sent to a few different places.  All I know they told me that I could only get a drivers license for a car or scooter, not both, with my drivers license from the states.  Don't know if I really want to drive a car here anyways. I am suppose to go back this Weds. to finish the process, I hope.  I never had to get anything stamped at the consulate for my drivers license though. Glad I didn't, specially when they charge $50.00 at the U.S. one.  The reason I know a little about your class of motorcycle license, is that I had a friend that kept wanting to ride one of my Harley's back in the States.  He explained the classes, and I told him he could only ride a Moped.  Just to mess with him.   I even got him a shirt that said "Team Moped" on it.

Actually I'm sure your right it was D3 not D1 :-)

Tbh I wasn't fussed about the car as I can't see myself driving one here but it didn't cost me anything so no harm done :)
To get my signature witnessed at my consulate cost $75! robbing gits! lol

Nice T-shirt but I bet our buddy was pi$$ed lol

I have lost touch with him, however if he knew what I was riding, he would never let me live it down. I just can't imagine wanting to drive a car here.  What have you found about putting a scooter in your name if your not a citizen?

krazeekalvin wrote:

What have you found about putting a scooter in your name if your not a citizen?

Don't bother unless your buying new then it's not worth it. As long as you have all the paperwork that's ok.
Basically to get it transferred to your name, you need to pay the tax on the bike again, that's list price as new and not what its worth now.!

We are putting it in a family members name.  I was told the same about the paperwork, and to get them to write a note that gives you permission to ride it.  Honda wouldn't let us put it in our names for not being citizens.  No biggie.  I still feel funny riding these scooters around.  I have been riding Harley's since my senior year in H.S..  I did have a 69 Vespa once, but that is another story.

Hello,

On a short-term basis, leasing a motorbike is the way to go.  The owner takes care of all the documentations on the bike.  But, if you are here for awhile and you are on a budget, buying is a must; you save lots of $$$. 

For your license, please don't take your license to the embassy for translation and certification.  It is an over-killed; I think it now costs 75 big ones to have that done.  All you need to do is bring it to one of the Photocopy places, they usually do translations and can get certifications for you as well; it only costs a few bucks; and it is more than enough to get you your license.

Bike ownership...  If you are not a Vietnamese citizen, no, you can not own a bike yourself.  To register a bike, you need that "Chung Minh Nhan Dan" document; and only Vietnamese citizens have those.  Sure, for a used bike, all you need is the previous owner's registration paper and a bill of sale.  Then, you are good to go.  But, for a new bike, you must get a local to register it for you.  That means the bike will be under his or her name, and you are the authorized operator.

Best wishes,
Howie

Hi Emma,

If you have never rode a bike before don't even try here. Have u been to hcm & seen the traffic? Your limbs are worth much more than the convinience if a bike here. Anyway u will be here only a couple of months. Get a permanent motorbike taxi on call. It's the cheapest option.

Forget about the license thing since u don't already have a license from home. Get a local from your work place to buy a used auto scooter on your behalf if u really want to risk it.

A yamaha mio or honda click is really easy to handle for beginners. Will probably cost around 25mil VND. As long as u got the ownership papers the traffic police here don't really want to deal with foreigners if u are unlucky enough to be stopped by one. Anyway it would only cost 50,000D & they let u go scott free. That's life in HCM city

Hue1964 wrote:

the traffic police here don't really want to deal with foreigners if u are unlucky enough to be stopped by one. Anyway it would only cost 50,000D & they let u go scott free. That's life in HCM city

Valid points, but would say that if your stopped by the police its around 200,000D at least for foreigners it is. Prior to Tet is was 100k but jumped up afterwards.

I guess it cost more for the color of your skin. But thank god I never had the misfortune of being stopped by a traffic cop yet. I'm asian expat a look like a vietnamese so maybe I'm not a prime target. But have been told by locals just pay 50,000 they'll let u go.

Infact they wanted to impound my bike just last night for illegal parking. I just showed my ownership papers (not in my name) & when they found out I was a foreigner they let me go scott free . . . . whew.

I think it all depends on the individual traffic cop. Some want to target locals some target specially foreigners.

I hope emma u are reading this. It's all part of riding a bike in HCM

I think you could be right Hue and I think it all depends which district you get stopped in.
I've only been stopped once so far and as soon as the second cop realised i was a foreigner he just waved me to carry on.
I have friends who have been stopped many times in D1 and they have been fined or asked for donations to the police funds ;-)

Hi guys,

The amount of "support" to be rendered depends on your violation, usually half of the official fine, or a third if you can plea hardship.  Whatever it is and whatever you guys do, get the situation resolved right then and there.  Please be calm and collected about your approach too because, for many violations, they can legally impound your bike or license for 30 days.  Then, that would be a big old mess.  The fines and fees to reclaim your properties will far exceed your generous "support."

For the most part, these guys rely more on such "supports" than their monthly state salaries; therefore, they are quite cool about things.  But if you give them fits, they are more than capable of putting you in your place.

Just remember guys, there is no traffic court here.  Everything is determined at the station.  Public "supports" are shared at the station as well.  In short, they are the judge, the jury and the executioner.  We all hate it, but that is just how things work here.  So, stay within yourselves.

Actually lived in HCMC (Saigon) for 3 years, rode motorcycle for more than 1.5 years, was only stopped 3 times by the police, never paid any money, just remove keys and look at them until they lose interest.

most I would pay would be 100,000Vnd.

Might be moving back to Saigon Jan 2012

If you end up trying to get a license, be sure to wear pants to 47 Le Duan street, district 1. They are a respectable establishment and are very discriminatory towards people wearing shorts, you will not be let in.

Finally got my Vietnam license and bought a brand new Yamaha 135, registered in my name (NN plates) and insured!
Only stopped once so far, think policeman was so shocked that I had a license and insurance he let me go free of charge LOL.
Also helps to have the "foreigner" rego plates, as I believe it's more hassle for them.

I have a full UK driver license and need one for an automatic scooter here in Ho Chi Minh. Can anybody tell me where I can get this sorted out?? Is it 47 Le Duan Street, District 1?
Do I simply walk in and ask?
Will they give me advise on insurance?

Obtaining a licence has been reviewed many times in this chat-room.

As for insurance, you buy it at most decent gas/petrol stations on weekdays.

I personally get comprehensive coverage in my name and Third Party/Fire/Theft in the registered owners name (my wife). The reason for this that even owning a bike has risks attached even if someone else is driving.

Understand: insurance here is not what you know it as. It's a legal requirement and it funds the Road Kill fund.  Three dead, average, per day, in TP HCM.

Every day accidents, other than write-offs are usually cash on the spot settlements - often supervised by the CGST Traffic Police. Usually the Foreigner gets to pay, many Vietnamese witnesses turn up after an accident an volunteer as witnesses (for payments).

Unless you can prove otherwise.

Jaitch wrote:

Obtaining a license has been reviewed many times in this chat-room.

As for insurance, you buy it at most decent gas/petrol stations on weekdays.

I personally get comprehensive coverage in my name and Third Party/Fire/Theft in the registered owners name (my wife). The reason for this that even owning a bike has risks attached even if someone else is driving.

Understand: insurance here is not what you know it as. It's a legal requirement and it funds the Road Kill fund.  Three dead, average, per day, in TP HCM.

Every day accidents, other than write-offs are usually cash on the spot settlements - often supervised by the CGST Traffic Police. Usually the Foreigner gets to pay, many Vietnamese witnesses turn up after an accident an volunteer as witnesses (for payments).

Unless you can prove otherwise.

Which is why a GOOD QUALITY helmet mounted vid-cam can be a very worthwhile 'accessory' here in VN. :D

The Cong An know full well about local 'witnesses'. They also know a vid-cam doesn't lie ! ;)

Show the Cong An your evidence from your helmet vid-cam and most times you'll find the local 'witnesses' tend to vanish faster than they appeared in the first place !  :lol:

Just don't EVER lose your 'kool' and start yelling at the Cong An - they probably won't understand a word you say. :(
You'll only get yourself deep in the doggie do-do with them.
And THAT WILL end up costing you, even if you do prove the other person was in the wrong  !   :rolleyes:

If your intending on being a longish term tourist, a 'thoughtful' gesture when you first move into you new location and have to register at the local station with your passport, is to quietly first find out what the station 'Chief' is fond of.
Take a good quality bottle of that with you as a 'gift' to show your appreciation of the 'Boss's difficult job' - a carton or two of beer / smokes for the 'troops' (depending station size) doesn't hurt either.
It's for 'APPRECIATION' - not grovelling. Just be polite, firm and friendly - easy ! :lol::lol::lol:

Flip465 wrote:

Take a good quality bottle of that with you as a 'gift' to show your appreciation of the 'Boss's difficult job' - a carton or two of beer / smokes for the 'troops' (depending station size) doesn't hurt either.
It's for 'APPRECIATION' - not grovelling. Just be polite, firm and friendly - easy !

Now, that is a thinking man.  You really know what you are doing here, don't you Flip465?  :top: 

Aren't you the same guy that wanted the Bentleys and Royces earlier?

I've never paid yet AND I've collected around VND8-million.

Once they know you have a camera the other parties belligerence usually disappears, just before they do.

Love them GoPro's!